Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, finally got this thing mounted....its absolutely worthless. It looks like art, but the sissy bar is worthless, at least with the non-stock seat installed. The "adjustable" idea is good in theory but useless in application.

The bar doesnt slide back far enough for the passenger to sit on the seat properly. I could cut it down a little bit so it slides back farther so the passenger is situated properly, but then the backrest covers half of the luggage rack, rendering it useless.

And even now, the adjustment doesnt slide far enough forward for me to be able to lean on it for those long solo trips....so bascially the "adjustment" only adjust throughout a useless range of adjustments.....

I am considering two options. One being cutting this luggage rack up and making it how I want it, OR changing my other sissy bar that I already built to accommodate a luggage rack, and selling the hondaline one. Plus side is that I fabbed up the brackets to secure the sissy bar, something that seems to get lost and is very elusive.

opinions please?

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pictures?

What would you like pictures of? a picture of the backrest all the way back looks perfectly fine, it even looks OK standing next to it. but when you sit on the seat, you quickly realize your rear is about 4 inches farther forward than it needs to be.

I'll grab some pics of it if i can remember, but I will ddefinitely update this thread when I start building my other rack.

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you've never seen a hondaline luggage rack?

here it is installed on the P/O bike

Here are the "pinch" brackets I fabricated

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
I have seen several honda racks but there are a lot out there. The pictures of the bracket are all we really need. I had a similar idea in my head after seeing how the stock brackets are folded over.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Funny you should post about your adjustable backrest not working - I have a K&G model on my bike, the backrest slides back far enough that even with the trunk on my wife can ride, and also slides far enough forward that I can use it, like I did on the way in this morning. I'm using a harley seat too, not the stock one. The K&G backrest has a bit of a different design though, the clamps bolt on external to the rack, and the backrest slides in those clamps, which might account for the extra travel, since if can be as long as you want technically, since the backrest doesn't have to be short enough to slide inside the luggage rack.

I even managed to find a couple of pictures. You can still find the K&G Racks and rests on Ebay.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.