Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few Hondealine fairings, one has the Clarion radio and instrument cluster with a blue painted outer. The one on my bike is silver and has a Cycle Sound stereo system. I want to install the Clarion radio and instruments into the silver fairing. This task would be much easier iif I could separate the inners and swap them. Would also be easier to check the wiring for the short circuit which I had. Has anyoe donne this sort of thig before?

·
Registered
896 Posts
I pulled and reinstalled the radio innards once. Everything just came out and went back in.
Table Electronic instrument Desk Audio equipment Tool

I've installed the gauge clusters on a couple of bikes including my GL500. Same thing, i.e. I just poked around and I got it done. I'd say everything inside the fairing removable. There's a few tricks but it sounds like you already have them installed in one fairing. That should provide some guidance. The grommets holding the gauge bracket are a pain, really tight.
Material property Gas Metal Gun accessory Auto part

The arrows are pointing to the stays that are supposed to hold the "D" nuts in place. The grommets are just below that. You can use well nuts, too. I recall there being manuals for installing the different radios/cb/intercoms. Pretty sure they can be found on this site or at Goldwingdocs.com. Let me know if you need them as I may have downloaded them.

·
Super Moderator
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I appreciate your reply. I have the manual for installing the Clarion radio but not one for the instrument cluster.

I have the body of the radio loose but something is preveting it from coming out. I need to get a better light so that I can see what is going on.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I had the fairing off when I removed and re-installed the radio. Maybe that makes a difference. Seems that the body of the radio sits on or over a plate that is somehow involved with securing the fairing to the fairing cowl.
Font Auto part Line art Drawing Event

Maybe loosen screw #6 to get plate #3 loose? Radio could be secured to #3, just guessing. Here's a picture or two that may help:
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Cable

Automotive tire Hood Light Motor vehicle Tread

I think the two screws in the back may be holding the radio to the plate and the plate may be secured by screw #6. Pretty sure screw #6 can be loosened from underneath with the fairing still on the bike.

·
Super Moderator
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Both fairings are off the bike. The two nuts 8 have been removed which allows plate three to move upwards but only so far. I'll have a look and see of I can see screw 6. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: RVP3

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Mike,
I took/split my fairing apart on my GL500 when I refurbished it and then glued it back together. ( used lots of clothes pegs to hold it together when I re glued it)
I think the pics may be lost on Photo bucket :cry:
But I'll look on my Facebook albums and see if it's there.
Cheers.....Keith....:cool:.....

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,669 Posts
The hard part will be where the inner and outer shells are welded together behind the headlight. I have no idea how you would separate them there without damaging them.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Oh, “innerrrs” not “innards” ha ha. :) I don't think I've ever seen that separation done. I’d like to see the pics posted here if not too burdensome to do so.

·
Super Moderator
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the two screws in the back may be holding the radio to the plate and the plate may be secured by screw #6. Pretty sure screw #6 can be loosened from underneath with the fairing still on the bike.
It turns out that there was no screw 6 on my bike and the plate and radio cannot be removed as a unit. The screws fastening the radio to the plate need to be removed .

Thanks Keith for the pictures.

Reactions: nippongreen

·
Super Moderator
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Today I removed the radio and the rest of the wiring from the fairing. Loosen the two fasteners at the front of the radio with a 7mm socket, then remove the nut from the stud at the back of the radio, Comes out easily once separated from the plate.

The next step is to strip the wiring from the silver fairing then install the Clarion radio and gauge cluster.

Then find out if any of it works.

Reactions: nippongreen

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts