Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left my 1983 Silverwing sitting all year and the return line hole at the bottom of the master cylinder was clogged. Decided to clean the whole master cylinder. Took piston out and cleaned the cylinder. Alll parts looked good, but did not measure them. Put back to gether and now I can not get it even put out any pressure. Is there a trick to this. Doesn't seem like any fluid is getting to the piston or cylinder. Do you have to prime it? If so How?

Thanks Ken

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
If you take off the brake line and it will not pump any fluid. It's probably something in the re-build. I did mine, and the brake line promptly collapsed, locking the brake by preventing return flow. I ended up rebuilding everything, replaced the line with a used one and am waiting for a new SS line today...

As far as priming it, you do need to pump fluid through the syst. I use an Irrigation Syringe to suck fluid from the bleeder screw both to empty and re-fill the syst. there is a device for this It's called a Mightyvac. Otherwise it's a royal PIA to keep opening and closing the bleeder and pumping the fluid in by hand. Sucking it in, It takes a while for the Syst to "burp" all the bubbles so if your handle becomes soft you may need to bleed the syst a few times to get it right.

ymmv... J gotta haul a**, just got a job for this afternnon.... sorry if i didn'f proof read this and could be gibberish<i/>

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I stick a bowl and/or rags etc under it and

put my finger over the outlet hole and pump the lever

until it starts to squirt fluid past my finger

then I attach the hose and bleed the system

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Smart Guy.... that Reg...

bad taste in comedy though( insert sarcasim icon here) see yall''''......

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Mind you

I do have a Kawasaki master cylinder and have never had problems bleeding the system

Those nasty crappy leaky shitty Honda ones have given me plenty of headaches and only the fact

it was someone elses bike saved them from getting the hammer treatment.

Kwak every time for me.

Once you've had Kwak you wont go back

(I heard that somewhere)

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
My reason for going DOT 5.1 if an idiot like me insists in keeping origninal. Half the viscosity, keeps that hole clean but you've got to change it more often.

DO NOT confuse this with DOT 5

1 - 6 of 6 Posts