Honda CX 500 Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
The Wiki is up for renewal in about three weeks.

The domain name can be renewed for $25AUD/year for any amount of time from 1 to 10 years. It's currently costing about $5USD/month in hosting fees.

The biggest thing it is used for is downloading the various factory service manuals, owners manuals and wiring diagrams etc - it serves something like 70 gigabytes a month of manuals. For the Wiki content there's a steady 15-40 people daily utilising it.

That's a lot of manuals. It's good to see those being utilised heavily.

In the course of the past year the Wiki has attracted one single donation from the button on the left sidebar for $5.

I'll be renewing the domain in about a week - anyone who would like to help out please send whatever you like via Paypal to jc AT motofaction DOT org with a note about it being for the Wiki - priority is renewing for one year to start with, then paying for a year of hosting, then I'll put any extra towards a longer renewal...

There have been a few new members who have in the past year expressed an interest in solving the Wiki's layout and content issues programatically - they have all lost interest as soon as they realised that the issue was not one of code but simply a matter of having the time to put into neatening the formatting, finding and fixing dead links/images and spreading out the messy pages into smaller, better laid out ones. If anyone feels they have the time to put towards helping neaten it up drop me a line. I have had some health stuff going on the past year which has really slowed down MotoFaction and Wiki editing but hopefully at some point that will improve and I'll have more time to put towards this stuff again.

·
Super Moderator
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Thankyou to those who have donated in the last day. Every bit helps.

I spent the morning backing up and updating the Wiki software to 1.31 - it's the long-term stable version of the software that won't be obsolete until June 2021. I have checked everything I can think of and it seems to all have worked properly but if anyone notices anything amiss let me know.

·
Super Moderator
3,258 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
We are very fortunate that JC does this at all! What a service he is so generously providing for the CX/GL community. Thanks JC!

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
It would help, if some of the links in older threads, could be redirected.

Just sayin'.
Are you taking about links in the forum or on JC's site. If it is forum links, that would be a massive undertaking. Kinda confused but that happens often

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Are you taking about links in the forum or on JC's site. If it is forum links, that would be a massive undertaking. Kinda confused but that happens often
I was talking about the links in the forum.
I just thought, if there was a way to write programming to change the incorrect links.

Oh well. At least there's a search in the wiki site. So, that helps.

EJ

·
Super Moderator
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I was talking about the links in the forum.
I just thought, if there was a way to write programming to change the incorrect links.

Oh well. At least there's a search in the wiki site. So, that helps.

EJ
In theory possible and you could put it to Verticalscope (the owners of the forum) that it be done - they don't allow just anyone to access the code or run scripts but if they saw the value in it to them they might consider it, who knows.

·
Super Moderator
13,728 Posts
What kind of links are you talking about? If you mean links to other websites (such as eBay listings) there's not a lot that can be done about that unless someone wants to take on what would amount to a full time job checking every link that has ever been posted and looking for suitable replacements for the dead ones.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I threw a few bucks your way for the Wiki site!

Sorry, but better late then never RIGHT! ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Least I could do, after using the site to d/l the FSM, and finding a wealth of other info I felt I owed it to you! (y)

·
Super Moderator
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Spent the morning updating some settings on the Wiki, enforcing HTTPS and fixing a few minor errors that have been around for a while. Everything should be working properly again, but if someone sees something amiss please let me know.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts