Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1982 Silverwing used, it's got 43K miles on it, it runs well, I have put about 300 miles on it half at over 60MPH. I am doing all the maintenance to establish a baseline. The guy who I bought it from put at least 1/3rd the miles on it that it has, he said that he never looked at the hypoid gear oil or greased the drive shaft... Hypoid oil looked OK but I changed it anyway.

Honda manual says to squirt an ounce or so of grease into the drive shaft. A strange spec, outboard motors and other mechanisms usually have a little hole or you can see a gasket that begins to swell when you have the right amount of grease in it.

I hooked up my grease gun and gave it 20 pumps after verifying that grease was coming out of the gun. No change in resistance. How do you tell how much grease? Could the thing even work almost dry? I suppose my gun could have air in it, but it's a new gun, new cartridge and like I said grease comes out if you have the end off a fitting and just look at it.

Thanks in advance to any responses to what is a really basic question...

Bill

·
Super Moderator
22,142 Posts
About 3 pumps each service will normally do it. You've pumped most of it straight through the splines in question and into the swingarms torque tube where it likely will do no harm at all. They fill up with grease over time anyway.

You may want to pull your rear wheel and check the final drive and driven splines. These need to be kept well lubed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help!

About 3 pumps each service will normally do it. You've pumped most of it straight through the splines in question and into the swingarms torque tube where it likely will do no harm at all. They fill up with grease over time anyway.

You may want to pull your rear wheel and check the final drive and driven splines. These need to be kept well lubed.
OK, I appreciate the tip and the fast response! The next time I change the rear tire I will inspect and if necessary grease the final drive gears.

·
Registered
604 Posts
If you have the time and inclination it's a good idea to disassemble and grease the rear suspension linkage bushings. They last forever if they're greased but once they start to squeak, damage is being done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts