Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my son's GL & decided to figure out why trunk would only only release on one side & didn't want to come off. Between the 2 of us twisting it came off. Turns out little hairpin clip was missing so lever
let pivot off. Since I say "dont throw it away you may need it someday" I found spare mechanism
& got it working after discovering burr on shaft notch that would lift clip off after a couple trys. Hacksaw cleaned up groove.
In the process discovered like new tool kit & a Air pressure guage. Tried guage & it read correct but
didn't release. Face was loose enough I could remove it & manually reset it to 0 but several tries did not solve problem. I see several pin holes in housing that look like they belong-would one them be plugged-would it need lite oil internal? Any clues?
Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no release button-had one before no button. Just held it on to get reading. Think it was more gimmick than functional.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Like Steve said...it's 40 years old and it was a cheap little thing when it was new. Mine hasn't been out of the pouch more than a couple of times since it was new in 1982.

·
Super Moderator
13,414 Posts
I used to use the one that came with my GoldWing until about 10 years ago when I discovered that it had a substantial error. If it was me I'd get something newer and keep that one as a souvenir/ornament.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
belong-would one them be plugged-would it need lite oil internal? Any clues?
Thanks, Paul
I have some WD teflon spay that fixed up my noisey speedo you can use.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Blame it on the shutdown-I wouldn't have found except when I got the trunk off spotted
It on top of rear fender below tool kit. Then I had to try it-it read close to my other guages
but didn"t release-lens was loose enough to take it apart & turn back to 0. Then the little kid side of me (never grew up) asked "how does it work?" Even if I get it working it is to fragile for most use. If I see one of my diehard Honda rider friends using a non honda guage I may pull it out for him.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Blame it on the shutdown-I wouldn't have found except when I got the trunk off spotted
It on top of rear fender below tool kit. Then I had to try it-it read close to my other guages
but didn"t release-lens was loose enough to take it apart & turn back to 0. Then the little kid side of me (never grew up) asked "how does it work?" Even if I get it working it is to fragile for most use. If I see one of my diehard Honda rider friends using a non honda guage I may pull it out for him.
Both of my GLs came with them. I didn't realize where they went until I pulled the 650's back seat off to put the saddle bags on under the seat. The 500's was in its tool case., with old insurance and registration papers. I bought a nearly complete set of tools from someone on this forum. I have a better set in the saddlebags.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts