Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Honda 1982 CX500C brake modernization/replacement

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  CXPHREAK 
#1 ·
Hello. I am a new to working on bikes, so im looking for some advice. As the title says, I have an '82 CX, and I have some pretty good brake drag. After reading other forums that sounds like a pretty common issue, with the common solution being a piston and seal rebuild.

Rather than going down that rout, I was wondering if there is any sort of kit or aftermarket brake caliper replacement. Something brand new, that would fit without too much modification. I know things like this exist in the car world, so I'm hoping that there is something like this for bikes.

#2 ·
An obstruction in the master cylinder can cause drag by inhibiting fluid return from the caliper. The return hole is very small and easily blocked. There's a particular replacement that's popular here. Someone else will need to point you to it.
Ideally, you should address both the MC and the caliper, and replace the old rubber line with braided stainless.

Randall

#3 ·
The original 2 piston calipers work pretty well once rebuilt, especially if you upgrade to stainless braided brake lines (the original rubber ones should have been replaced every 2-3 fluid changes = 5-6 years) and either rebuild or replace the master cylinder.

As Randall said, there are a couple of replacement master cylinders that are popular (someone please post a link).

But check that relief hole before you do much else - dragging brakes wear the pads faster, decrease fuel economy and can even lead to overheating the discs.

BTW: Welcome to the forum. Please add your location to your profile and your bike's model and model year to your signature so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and the Previous Owners may or may not have done the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. We already mentioned the brake lines; Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel because old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet.

#5 ·
Old rubber {OEM} type brake lines can also start to brake up internally and can act as a one way valve.

The master makes enough pressure to apply the brake but the pressure doesn't drain back up the hose so easy leading to a dragging brake.

It's easy to check if your drag is hydraulic or mechanical by releasing the bleed nipple. If the brake unsticks the issue is hydraulic. if not it is mechanical.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.