Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today i changed my tires on the GL650 with tools i made.
It was very fulfilling!

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The font end hanger is worth its weight in gold.
Made of 1" gas line from Home Depot. They cut and thread it for free there.
I used fittings and screwed it all together. It is very sturdy.

***MOST IMPORTANTLY I USE A LOT OF DISH SOAP.***

The bead breaker is gas line with a simple bed frame angle iron shoe on a 1bolt hinge.
It works well, but since i only weigh 140 i have to bounce it for a bit before she gives.

The no scuff tire tool was a rod i odered from ebay of delron i think...
It works great.

I cinch the wheel in place to the trailer with a ratchet tie down.
The bead breaker has 2 notches to hold onto the trailer iron for use.

:)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh goodness indeed it was! :)

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I have yet to figure out how to post pictures right side up on my computer. No problem with the phone.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Nice! I especially love the front end hanger frame.

I loved the experience of freedom I got with changing my own tires the first time. Now I don't feel like I'm dependent on the local shop. Some beads to balance and good to go!

Reactions: Carytowncat

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,736 Posts
I like the bead breaker. I wonder how I managed for all those years using clamps 7c before I made mine.

BTW: Using dish detergent on tire beads is not a great idea. Most brands contain phosphates that can promote corrosion on alloy rims. I highly recommend investing in some real bead lube before you change your next tire. I have noticed significantly less corrosion on my wheels since I stopped using dish liquid and it is easier to break the beads when the time comes to remove the tire too.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like the bead breaker. I wonder how I managed for all those years using clamps 7c before I made mine.

BTW: Using dish detergent on tire beads is not a great idea. Most brands contain phosphates that can promote corrosion on alloy rims. I highly recommend investing in some real bead lube before you change your next tire. I have noticed significantly less corrosion on my wheels since I stopped using dish liquid and it is easier to break the beads when the time comes to remove the tire too.
Oh thank you for that information SidecarBob, i was unaware of that.
I am guessing bead lube is available online? Someone suggested KY lol

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice! I especially love the front end hanger frame.

I loved the experience of freedom I got with changing my own tires the first time. Now I don't feel like I'm dependent on the local shop. Some beads to balance and good to go!
I know that feeling of freedom is delightful. :)

Especially since i always feel like a sore thumb taking wheels to a bike shop. I know that they donvt make much at all on a tire change and especially lack lustre profit since i bring my own tires too. :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That frame is brilliant- now I want to make one!
That frame is worth itvs weight in gold i say again. 2 tees at the bottom for the feet, 4 caps for the ends of those feet, and 2 elbows. The 4 feet were 2" lengths each, the side lengths are 5" each and i think i went 3" across width, but i will check and update if that is not accurate.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Soap is an absolute necessity to install a tubeless tire on an alum alloy rim. How many smear a light coating of grease on the wheel rim tire contact area to slow down / prevent corrosion which will ultimately lead to a slow loss of air pressure?

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,736 Posts
Grease or oil is an extremely bad idea, whether you have an inner tube or tubeless. I have heard of tires actually moving on the rim when that was done. I don't know about real soap but as I said before, dish detergent (or laundry detergent for that matter) can accelerate corrosion.

http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/blogs/richard/an-easy-way-to-ruin-your-tires.aspx

Something actually intended for the purpose is always the best choice.

BTW: This is what I use. I have no idea whether other products are better but I know where I can get this and a bottle lasts me several years.
http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/16-oz-bead-lube/A-p8223208e

·
Registered
375 Posts
+1 to Sidecar's comment.........IME, Real soap (no scent or weirdness) is second best to Real Tire Bead Lubricant...it goes way further, much easier to use, results are far better. I'm cheap, but some things really do pay.

·
Registered
218 Posts

I also used Dish soap for ever but this was on steel wheels. Sidecar is correct with the Caustic nature of the dish soap causing corrosion on aluminum wheels. Ruglyd tire rubber lube from Napa has worked wonders for me. I think I saw it at K Mart too.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I changed the tires on the Ninja today. Ahhhh :)

I also used dish soap again. I know, i know it's wrong but i can't help myself;
it's.... just.... soooo.... slippery!

Well that and i couldn't face the extra 20 minutes to stop and pick up bead lube.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts