1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
541 Posts
102 views but no comments thus far....so I'll bite......

know the seller from past items on ebay-but I've had better experience with "dream cycles" and "your trash my treasure" for NOS...

Used OEM stator for about $150U.S. -well might be more affordable than the $1500- plus price for a OEM/NOS that come up from time to time.....:whistle:

·
Registered
832 Posts
It stated “good used working order”, are you dubious of that statement? :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
There are some parts that you buy used and some parts you should never buy used, stators fall into catagory 2! I just feel sorry for any newbie that thinks putting this in their bike is a good idea.

·
Registered
501 Posts
There are some parts that you buy used and some parts you should never buy used, stators fall into catagory 2! I just feel sorry for any newbie that thinks putting this in their bike is a good idea.
Any used electric is optimism- but his e-bay approval % is 99.7 % plus 100% Return so can't be all bad. I havn't dealt with him but I know others in the Twin Cities have with no complaints. Plus it would be lot of work to find out not working.
Paul

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Any used electric is optimism- but his e-bay approval % is 99.7 % plus 100% Return so can't be all bad. I havn't dealt with him but I know others in the Twin Cities have with no complaints. Plus it would be lot of work to find out not working.
Paul
I think I have purchased from him as well without issue. Forks if memory serves.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have bought from this person and a few others in the past, without issue.

In the recent past, they used to start an auction with a bid price of say $5.00 and then let the market bear what it is worth. Sometimes things went cheaper than they probably should have just because the right person was not online looking for a part at that particular moment (not enough bidders).

I think they have changed their philosophy after seeing some of this stuff go for ridiculous low prices while others that sell the same part get way more. Their new philosophy is to set a buy it price very high, and then allow a "Make Offer" .

I think they are now switching to a used parts store rather than an used parts auction.

Yes, some of there initial prices are ridiculously high, but you just make an offer. The only thing I observed that the price they want is still quite high. Sometimes I add a comment justifying the price I offer.

If the part has not been listed long, they wont come down much. If the part has been on the site for a year or more, they are more likely to deal.

I am not sure what business philosophy works best for them, but is their right to operate their business how they see fit.

What doesn't make sense to me is that they do not seem to look at what the current parts are going for. There is another stator online right now that has been their for over a year at $26.

Anyway, The days of getting cheap parts for our vintage bikes seems to be a thing of the past.

Sometimes you can buy a complete second bike for a few hundred dollars. The only problem in doing that is now you have to keep it around and get rid of it yourself. If you are like me, I have a hard time throwing things away, so stuff keeps accumulating.

Most people are only interested in what they need and do not want the excess parts bike laying in their garage taking up space (or their significant other puts their foot down, LOL)

·
Registered
6,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Johnste1960

I too have bought from them and was happy with transaction. BUT, really why even try to sell a totally baked stator for 3x the cost of a brand new one? That is just taking advantage of someone who does not know any better.
I will not buy from this seller again. Just my 2 cents

·
Super Moderator
14,722 Posts
I've seen a totally baked stator (may still have it somewhere) and that one definitely isn't. The epoxy may be a bit dark but that isn't always an indicator of imminent failure. As with any used electrical part (including all of the ones on your bike that were new when installed 4 decades ago) it could fail tomorrow or it could last for years; The only way to really tell would be to install it and see.
I've heard of some of those cheap "brand new" replacements lasting a long time and some that failed within a year so there's no guarantee one of them would last longer than this one.

But the price is way too high...

·
Registered
541 Posts
Paul
yep if a engine in frame install then you could try a cheap used one...but for a more time consuming CX type install...i'd go best quality aftermarket or a trusted "gifted" one

·
Registered
6,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've seen a totally baked stator (may still have it somewhere) and that one definitely isn't. The epoxy may be a bit dark but that isn't always an indicator of imminent failure. As with any used electrical part (including all of the ones on your bike that were new when installed 4 decades ago) it could fail tomorrow or it could last for years; The only way to really tell would be to install it and see.
I've heard of some of those cheap "brand new" replacements lasting a long time and some that failed within a year so there's no guarantee one of them would last longer than this one.

But the price is way too high...
What ever you say Bob... NOT! a 30 yr old stator at over a $100 is highway robbery no matter how you want to call it

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Seems like most of the problems with the replacement(chinese) stators are the result of improper installation. I think mine has about 5k miles on it with no issues, cost me $50 I think.

·
Super Moderator
14,722 Posts
What ever you say Bob... NOT! a 30 yr old stator at over a $100 is highway robbery no matter how you want to call it
It would be closer to 40 years old than 30. I absolutely agree that the price is way out of line. I have a couple here that are the same age that I might sell for 10% of that price if someone desperately needed one today but I wouldn't advise anyone to think it was a permanent fix.
In fact, a few years ago when when the stator in Eccles' last 650 engine failed the same week I started hearing the telltale tapping from near my right foot and I absolutely needed to get the bike running sooner than new parts could get here (my only transportation and I needed to get to work) I installed one of them with a used (known history) camchain and guides to get me through until the next summer when I could take my time and replace them with the stator I rewound and a DSS chain.
For that matter, the stator in Eccles' current (GL500) engine is that old too (AFAIK - I haven't had that engine apart to look at it) and was working fine the last time I ran it and I so is the one in my GoldWing that I saw no reason to replace when I had that engine apart a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I thought the price and if it was toasted were 2 separate issues......separate but inter-twinned.

We all seem to agree its overpriced....but its unknown functionality based on pics is the other

1 - 20 of 20 Posts