Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happens both on cold and hot starts. Cranks just fine, except that I have to hold the start button for a few seconds before anything happens. I just installed new Ignitech CDI (just throwing that info out there, I know it's not a magic cure) and continues to do this. Any suggestions on what to look for and fix?

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Does the solenoid "click" when you hit the button or does it click at the same time the starter engages. Is the battery fully charged and are the connections tight. As murrayf stated, it could be a dirty switch, but a bad battery connection or low battery can do a similar thing (in this case the solenoid will "click" right away, but the starter will lag).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No click on the solenoid until start. Will go ahead and clean/check connections and see how that works and also check V on the relatively new battery. Thanks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I promise you and bet a million bucks that it is dirty contacts. I have a 100% "outside" bike, anytime it rains I have to clean the contacts... should just by a cover...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts