Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just read all the posts on highway pegs I see where someone needs to supply a really decent looking, comfortable, and safe, set of highway pegs.

I had a nice set of crash bars on Old Yeller back in 01 with JC Whitney floorboards mounted halfway up on the crash bars.

I was riding the Dragon in March that year, we had the entire run to ourselves, not another vehicle in sight.

The clamp of my floorboards snagged the pavement and I went down hard. Mild concussion, broken mirror, turn signal and thumb. I whacked my hip so hard it still hurts.

If you insist on those pegs sticking out so low on the bike you can expect the same or worse because you will not go down with your legs bent.

A design I fabricated was made from 3/4" solid square stock. It utilized the same mounting points as your design Lucky but was attached

using 1/4" flat bar that was welded to the 3/4" square bar they were different lengths to make the bar level under the engine.

The bars were bent at a 90 degree angles straight up at the point where they would clear the exhaust headers, at about 10" on the verticle

they were bent 90 degreehorizontal and cut off with at 6' to form the footpegs. They were covered with bicycle hand grips.

David F has those bars. Maybe Dave will be kind enough to post a pic. I could be coaxed into making more in gloss black or gloss silver.

Price would depend on current cost of materials.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm trying to picture it and the idea I get in my head seems to be a good one.

Picture an old fashioned handlebar moustache and then flip it upside down.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote name='Blindstitch' date='29 November 2010 - 08:45 PM' timestamp='1291081522' post='30312']

That's what I was thinking.

That is a bit extreme, don't you think Stitch? and a ridiculous analogy to the subject. Go stand in a corner.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are no corners in my room.

How about Dennis Gage?

What, you live in a silo? What's that sport's car guy doing pushing Pringles?

I met him once at a SCCA auto slalom course in Limerock, CT. in 1968.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
no offense I WOULD NOT USE THOSE for the reason all they mount to is the bottom tabs on the engine at least on mine they are mounted to more than one spot and those would pivot also so i dont see how that is much better at least on mine the pegs fold up there for are a lot safer

but like i said i dont mean to offend any one here

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no offense I WOULD NOT USE THOSE for the reason all they mount to is the bottom tabs on the engine at least on mine they are mounted to more than one spot and those would pivot also so i dont see how that is much better at least on mine the pegs fold up there for are a lot safer

but like i said i dont mean to offend any one here

Whatever you say Lucky. I deicated 11 years of my life defending your right to your opinion.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow, great pictures. Thanks dave.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Whatever you say Lucky. I deicated 11 years of my life defending your right to your opinion.

and i thank you for defending this country but to me i just dont think those are safe just saying if the bike goes over it will break those tabs off and sense thats were the oil is at that would not be good

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Exactly where would you put your feet at on these things?

They'd make a pretty trick lookin' set though...

[/quote]

Gee stitch, you can't figure ? you put your feet in the rubber grips. duh.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Exactly where would you put your feet at on these things?

They'd make a pretty trick lookin' set though...

i didnt think blindstitch said a thing about were you would put your feet lol

1 - 20 of 33 Posts