Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the engine apart to replace cam chain, all gaskets and o-rings etc and I'd like to paint it it before putting it back in the bike. I've read on how to properly clean / prep the engine for paint but I still have a couple questions.

1. Better to re-assemble the whole engine, then paint it all at once? Or paint individual parts (heads, covers, block, etc) separately then re-assemble?

2. I really like the silver accents on Sacha Lakic's build. Was this achieved by sanding off the paint in those areas? And if so, how is the metal protected. From the research I've done, high-temp clear coats seem to be non-existent or they yellow/discolor.

·
Super Moderator
4,060 Posts
To your first question, it is better to paint with the engine assembled; much easier and fewer areas to mask off. Paint the engine before assembly if you don't want the edges of the gaskets to be painted. Are you trying for a show quality bike?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To your first question, it is better to paint with the engine assembled; much easier and fewer areas to mask off. Paint the engine before assembly if you don't want the edges of the gaskets to be painted. Are you trying for a show quality bike?
That is what I was originally thinking. I'm going to be completely disassembling the bike and having everything powdercoated and re-painted, but I still intend to get it nice and dirty on the weekends. So it won't be judged in any bike shows but I figured if I already have the engine apart I should do it "right".

·
Super Moderator
21,130 Posts
Paint it in one piece. The covers can be polished, then masked or alternatively masked and then removed and polished.

I don't recommend clear coats for polished alloy.

·
Super Moderator
14,747 Posts
When I am painting the covers a different colour than the block I put the covers in plastic bags and then install them in the bags, then tape over the bolt heads (I will be doing that on the GoldWing engine I am working on right now). It keeps the paint out of the inside of the engine and provides sharp colour separations.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I clear coated all the yellow cadmium fasteners on a old flathead I rebuilt ( including headbolts ) using "Plasticote" clear engine enamal and was very happy with results.
Engine.jpg

·
Registered
598 Posts
I haven't ever painted an engine completely together. I don't like painting the bolts like that. Personal thing. I paint mine all apart.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
I paint engines all in one eexept the steel tubes (coolant tubes and thermostat holder.)
After the paint is cured i changed the old bolts with new ones.

·
Super Moderator
14,747 Posts
On Eccles I prefer to paint the bolts because it gives them an little extra bit of protection from the elements. The 'Wing motor I'm working on won't be used in winter and the nice M6 8mm head bolts in it are all in good shape so I am tempted to mask them when I paint it. On the other hand, none of them will be all that visible so I might not bother...

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
If you are going to have the motor completely apart then I would paint it that way and just use a lot of masking tape to keep paint out of the innards. I just did a turbo motor that way in a nice satin black. I'm not sure it is feasible to powder coat the cases unless you plan to take everything out that heat might damage, but even then it seems like it would be difficult not to get stuff into the cases. I think the motor looks better when parts are painted separately rather than having gaskets and bolts painted in place. It seems no matter how good a job you do it is going to look like someone just used a rattle can in the driveway to paint it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts