Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She idles nicely, but it seems like I need high rpms at speed. Like I'll be in 5th for 40mph and about 4-5k rpms. My clutch seems to engage fine from the lever. Maybe I need to let out some slack for it to engage in the engine more as in it's not fully engaged and slipping some? Doesn't "feel" like it's slipping, but this is only maybe my 3rd day on it, so I'm not used to the feel of the bike yet.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
5th/11mph per 1k rpm
4th/9mph per 1k
3rd/7mph per

is what I read in the FSM most likely. These motors like to rev high!

·
Super Moderator
3,747 Posts
As above, seems normal. If your clutch was slipping you would notice an increase in rpm without a corresponding increase in speed. This would be most noticeable in the higher gears and during acceleration or on hills.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, this thing is responsive. A lot more responsive than I'm used to. Letting go of the throttle instead of rolling off definitely engine brakes.

·
Super Moderator
20,547 Posts
After 6000 they are really alive. I tend to shift around 9000 rather than running to the red line. This still leaves them above 6000 after the upchange.

Careful in first if you open it up wide open. Aside from being great fun they tend to rev out like crazy before you can change. I usually short shift first.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
I catch myself, even today, that after all these years, when one would think that I am suppose to be used to the high revs, that I still sometimes have the burning urge to shift her up into a non existing 6th gear/over drive near "top" speed , LOL.

·
Super Moderator
20,547 Posts
True Izak. But I've done that on every bike I've ever ridden.

I did know a feller once that rode his XR200 a couple of hundred miles in fourth. That's how many gears he thought it had.

I took it bush bashing when we got to our destination {the riverland}. It had 6 I think. :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
LOL. OK, I'll give her some juice!
I was nervous about RPM's at first too. When I first got the bike I was shifting it like a car, then someone on here (I apologize for not remembering who) commented on my concern that the bike felt under powered and like I was lugging it, with the fact that I needed to get the rev's up. Once I did that, it was a whole different experience.

Last summer when my low speed coils went (or something like that) I was about 400kms from home. To get home I had to keep the bike above 6000 Rpm's, which slowly seemed to degrade to keeping it closer to 7000 rpms. It felt like the bike was screaming down the highway, but it was fun, I will concede that it was definitely the scariest and funnest ride I've had.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Im new to the cx500 as well and getting used the RPM is crazy. Just cruising around it lacks power at low rpm but above 4k its soooo loud. If you havent opened it up to 8k or so yet, hang on... its like a rocket engages at 6k.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts