Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so there is a very noticeable whine whenever I'm in 1st or 2nd gear and I'm accelerating or decelerating. It is only just beginning to become audible in 3rd gear, but I'm wondering what it may be? Gearbox? Clutch? Final Drive?

Does anyone know what this could possibly be?

Also, it is not present when the clutch is pulled in or when I am idling.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Okay so there is a very noticeable whine whenever I'm in 1st or 2nd gear and I'm accelerating or decelerating. It is only just beginning to become audible in 3rd gear, but I'm wondering what it may be? Gearbox? Clutch? Final Drive?

Does anyone know what this could possibly be?

Also, it is not present when the clutch is pulled in or when I am idling.

The transmissions in these bikes do make a whining noise as the revs get higher, you probably just notice it more in the lower gears

because you are going slower.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
I'd check the easier options 1st.Have a look at the clutch and renew components if not within service limits ad renew the bearing,

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cx500a-1980england_model16465/partslist/E10.html

You can get them from Motorcycle suppliers or,

http://speedsupplies.com/partslisting.asp?position=124&increment=500&category=SD

and I would image it' a stock bearing size so a decent bearing supplier should have them cheap like Wheel bearings.

Also if not already using it switch to 15w40 diesel engine oil.Neither of my CX gearboxes whine at any speeds.Both my CX have the well known Honda feature of Cam whirr noise.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Here is an mp3 of my bike in first gear,, I did not shift into other gears because I was using my clutch hand to hold the cell phone down by the gearbox
. I think you should be able to hear the whine I am talking about. This bike has about 30,000 kilometers on it. It is noticeable on all of my CX's.

[media]http://bondsauctions.com/whine.mp3[/media]

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Are you sure it's not the standard Honda,"Cam Whirr"?

Even my M8's VFR had it from new

I do not hear it when the bike is not moving,,there is a slight whirr when sitting still, but the noise is much louder when I am moving, so I assume it is in the drive train.

Wherever it is coming from, if that is the noise the original poster is hearing,,it is normal.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I love that sound.....I think it sets our bikes apart.

My Chevy Suburban 5.7 liter engine makes a similar whining noise (for different reasons of course)....and yes it's normal.

On the bike I have actually taken a stethoscope and listened to various parts of the engine and to the best of my ability I've deducted that it's coming from the clutch area.....with the stethoscope you can hear it while sitting there in neutral with the end of the stethoscope right on the clutch cover and of course it gets louder as you're moving.

HINT: Don't anyone try this while the bike is HOT or your stethoscope will melt right on the clutch cover !!!!! I did it while COLD !

Allan, it sounds like ya got a little clutch rattle there as well ??? !!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had a really annoying and worrying whir/whine when accelerating or slowing down.

Sounded like some kind of loose washer spining out of control in the rear of the engine.... I was almost to the point of dropping the engine again until I found out what it was.

The heat shield under my feet and above the h-box had a lose bolt which allowed it to vibrate at certain revs.

I was very happy to fix that in just a couple of seconds rather than half a day of spannering and head scratching.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
I had a really annoying and worrying whir/whine when accelerating or slowing down.

Sounded like some kind of loose washer spining out of control in the rear of the engine.... I was almost to the point of dropping the engine again until I found out what it was.

The heat shield under my feet and above the h-box had a lose bolt which allowed it to vibrate at certain revs.

I was very happy to fix that in just a couple of seconds rather than half a day of spannering and head scratching.

Good point.I've had this happen as well and it stop the gear lever getting into 1st easy

G

·
I love that sound.....I think it sets our bikes apart.

Allan, it sounds like ya got a little clutch rattle there as well ??? !!!!

Right On Rickbert, they rattle, they warble, the flutter and tick and talk.... a CX Symphony. And they sing for miles and miles and miles....oh yeahahh

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.