Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking at a 1982 10,000 mile Gl500I rider/runner, currently registered, with title. There are NO service records. Is the HM Checklist in the FSM the one on the attached photo? I thought I would start at a zero baseline with the maintenance in addition to tires, stator check, etc. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Dont own a GL, but a CX...only comment I'd make would be...Its probably a good starting point, but I generally replace final drive oil yearly irrespective of miles its only bout 1/2cup of oil (max 2 years...when specified as every 2 years as per many BMWs FSM/owners manuals).

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
BTW-Forgot to ask.... is this bike 10000miles....?? thats not really high milage (unless you think its 110,000...around the clock)

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
There's age to consider though, not just milage. As an example, how good do you think possibly 40 year old final drive oil is likely to be?
Yes I agree do it all....immediately if he can.(y).did the same with shimming the valves on my CB750 when I got it before riding it....my comment on the final drive oil was the table didn't seem to specify a time interval ongoing

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone! Yes. 10,000 miles. That’s not a lot of miles especially for a 40 year bike but certainly has had some extended periods of non-use. I thought I would look at the High Mileage Checklist and use that and other approved date to zero time the maintenance, but have been unable to locate the checklist unless this is it.

·
Super Moderator
4,281 Posts
Use the 36,000 km service as the "high mileage checklist". AFAIK that is what is referred to as the "high mileage checklist".
Then follow that with the services at 6,000km intervals as shown.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts