Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed this HID headlamp system on my Silverwing back in 2010 and have been very happy with it until this weekend, when it stopped working. I was troubleshooting a dead battery and jump started my bike off another 12 car battery (loose on the floor). That battery is kaput; tested it on two different chargers and it won't charge. Got another battery and hooked it up today. The bike runs again and my voltages look normal (I added on a voltmeter when I first got the bike back in 2008).

When I looked at the HID fuse, it fell apart in my hand. I picked the other blade out of the fuseholder, sure that my problem was just a bad fuse. No such luck. Despite checking the connections at every place between the battery and the headlight, I can find no evidence of a broken or weak connection.

Here's the kit I installed in 2010: Should I just bite the bullet and get another kit or what should I order in its place? I haven't messed much with my bike lately and so I'm a bit rusty when it comes to working on it.

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
Did you also go through the starter button section? Could be there is a malfunction/corrosion in that. Take a step by step electrical path check from battery to start button to headlight stuff.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have two LED auxiliary headlamps in addition to the big center headlamp. They come on when I turn the key. Do I still need to dig into the switch?

I have a talent for taking a two hour job and converting it into two weeks of work. I'm trying to avoid that here if I can.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I finally got around to fixing my HID headlight problem. I ordered another complete HID kit and decided to just start from scratch. I removed everything except the headlamp itself inside the headlight can and installed new wiring and ballast. That was all it took... the bulb itself now lights brilliantly again.

I also took the opportunity to install marine bus bars under the seat to provide a much more professional looking result for the addition of 12 volt electrical accessories. On my bike, that includes heated hand grips, 2 auxiliary LED headlights, an audible turn signal beeper, and a taillight modulator (flasher).
Bus bar 1.PNG Bus bar 2.PNG

1 - 5 of 5 Posts