Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the old forum there were a number of discussions concerning HID conversions, and I cannot recall if anyone actually made the switch and if so, what the verdict was on whether or not it was worth the costs in terms of better night vision. If this has been done, how has the longevity been and which kit was used? Just thinking I could use a bit of help at night with my now middle aged eyes. Getting older might not be fun, but it sure beats the alternative!

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
There is a thread going at the moment in the customization section.

I have done this. Actually I bought a used kit from a member. It's made by Euro FX I think they are called EFX now. There is a dealer out of indiana.

David in Wisconsin was upgrading to a dual hid unit so I bought his old one. It works great. I did have some problem with it not lighting from time to time but that was solved by wiring in a relay that connects the light switch and the battery.

The second problem I had is it works great on bike with fairings to hid things but if you don't have a fairing you're going to have to find a place to hide it. I extended the wires on mine and mounted it under the right side cover. Using a fork bag has also been a suggestion from a few.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a thread going at the moment in the customization section.

I have done this. Actually I bought a used kit from a member. It's made by Euro FX I think they are called EFX now. There is a dealer out of indiana.

David in Wisconsin was upgrading to a dual hid unit so I bought his old one. It works great. I did have some problem with it not lighting from time to time but that was solved by wiring in a relay that connects the light switch and the battery.

The second problem I had is it works great on bike with fairings to hid things but if you don't have a fairing you're going to have to find a place to hide it. I extended the wires on mine and mounted it under the right side cover. Using a fork bag has also been a suggestion from a few.
Thanks, Don - I now remember your working on this. Great idea about the fork bag. I'll check the other forum. These things are costy, but it may be the right answer.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Thanks, Don - I now remember your working on this. Great idea about the fork bag. I'll check the other forum. These things are costy, but it may be the right answer.
I used the sportiva kit. I cannot comment on the longevity; it has only been installed for a day. However, the ballast and wiring harness seem very high quality. The bulb is the cheapest looking part, but it is also replaceable.

The kit was 50 dollars on the ebay. It has a solenoid activated hi/low beam. It fit well into my housing, and is so bring that I can actually see the headlight beam during the daylight hours.

Well worth it!

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I'm sure the HID conversions are better than what I use but having done a lot of Night riding and as a straight and easy upgrade I use Xenon H4 car headlight bulbs,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XENON-SUPER-W...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35a9ab6065

They are superb and give a great light and definition especially on unlit country roads and use the same current.I also converted years ago to LED 1157 Stop tail lamps,

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-X-T25-1157-36...Bulb-Lamp-/220638662905?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

They use a lot less current,light faster and are virtually indestructible.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I'm sure the HID conversions are better than what I use but having done a lot of Night riding and as a straight and easy upgrade I use Xenon H4 car headlight bulbs,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XENON-SUPER-W...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35a9ab6065

They are superb and give a great light and definition especially on unlit country roads and use the same current.I also converted years ago to LED 1157 Stop tail lamps,

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-X-T25-1157-36...Bulb-Lamp-/220638662905?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

+1 on the LED tail lamps. They are way brighter, and the instant-on is a lot more visible to the people behind you.

As for the HID kit, I used this one and would recommend it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Moto...rQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_5513wt_941

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Super Moderator
11,467 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item35a9ab6065

http://cgi.ebay.com/...DefaultDomain_0

+1 on the LED tail lamps. They are way brighter, and the instant-on is a lot more visible to the people behind you.

I just ordered the Zenon H4 and LED tail light today, as per Shep's suggestions. All told, less than $20 shipped. No mod needed from what I read.

*edit to add that I searched the US fleabay and found the same brand as he listed*

Joel in the Couve.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I used the sportiva kit. I cannot comment on the longevity; it has only been installed for a day. However, the ballast and wiring harness seem very high quality. The bulb is the cheapest looking part, but it is also replaceable.

The kit was 50 dollars on the ebay. It has a solenoid activated hi/low beam. It fit well into my housing, and is so bright that I can actually see the headlight beam during the daylight hours.

Well worth it!
I think I'm up for one of these HID kits. On the old board someone mentioned that a modern computer designed lens would also virtually double the light available compared to the old school lens. Does anyone remember the name of that company? They offered motorcycle specific as automobile lens are quite different a pattern. May as well up grade the lens to make full use of the HID?

Cheers, 50gary

·
Registered
583 Posts
Gary,

Mine is still working very well. No complaints here!

-Brendan

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
The HID with the moving shield for high low is the way to go.

You don't have higher amps (Start-up amps) going through the hi/low beam switch as the change between high & low beam is done using a solenoid being tripped by the hi/low switch, rather than high amps through the switch.

I haven't ridden but once at night since the newer version of the HID is installed, but I sure do like it so far.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Just tried to order a couple of those LED tail light bulbs and my bank won't let PayPal use my credit card to pay them? Checked my online statement, probably because the actual company is some sort of telephone firm by name.

Now I've got to call the bank and hopefully sort it out.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Just tried to order a couple of those LED tail light bulbs and my bank won't let PayPal use my credit card to pay them? Checked my online statement, probably because the actual company is some sort of telephone firm by name.

Now I've got to call the bank and hopefully sort it out.

You should be able to email the seller and get a phone number and call them with your credit card number.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
They're in Hong Kong, not even my cell phone is free to there. I'll just call my bank, this has happened before onrare occasions and it's because the company is on some kind of "cheated people in the past" list. Same thing went on with the company that hosts my website space except for in that case the bank refuses to pay them dierctly however it will pay them if I go through PayPal?

There's a lot of bad data out there. Some list still has our corporate credit card's billing address wrong after 2 years and I suspect that's tied in with the fact that USPS absolutely will not deliver anything from TAS to me at our office address but gets TAS orders to my home in a matter of days. If you go to USPS.com and enter the address we've been at for two years to find the listed Zip Code it claims the address doesn't exist.

That's something I've been meaning to work on with USPS. You'd figure that by now someone else would have but I'm probably the only one that uses the card to buy things from so many varied sources.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Well, I suppose I should chime in on this one, since I'm very anal about these things

Putting an HID bulb in a standard halogen housing can A) cause lots of glare to oncoming traffic, and/or B ) not actually be very beneficial to the rider.

So if you do it, please make sure you recheck your headlight aiming so you don't blind oncoming traffic.

Or, to do it the proper way.... http://www.theretrofitsource.com/trs_tech.php?osCsid=9ef661101de703dd4921e0433097f41a

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Well, I suppose I should chime in on this one, since I'm very anal about these things

Putting an HID bulb in a standard halogen housing can A) cause lots of glare to oncoming traffic, and/or B ) not actually be very beneficial to the rider.

So if you do it, please make sure you recheck your headlight aiming so you don't blind oncoming traffic.

Or, to do it the proper way.... http://www.theretrofitsource.com/trs_tech.php?osCsid=9ef661101de703dd4921e0433097f41a

If it has the proper sliding shield or the older two bulb system there is no headlight glare to opposing traffic. I have never been challenged on any of my bikes with the HID.

Also, at ground level it is so bright, you can see black stones on blacktop!!! You can't do much better than that to help the rider.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
If it has the proper sliding shield or the older two bulb system there is no headlight glare to opposing traffic. I have never been challenged on any of my bikes with the HID.

Also, at ground level it is so bright, you can see black stones on blacktop!!! You can't do much better than that to help the rider.

You may never have been challenged. But if you have glare, I'm sure a few drivers have muttered some choice words under their breath.

The fact of the matter is the arc in HID bulbs is in a different spot from the halogen filament, so your reflector is not working as well as it could (kind of like if you moved the receiver part of a satellite dish...wouldn't work well)

To get optimum performance out of HID you need a housing specifically designed for HID.

Now, that's not to say just throwing one of these kits in there is no good - I'm sure it's better than standard halogen. But I would say it is not ideal, and may be irritating other drivers. I have seen plenty of cars AND motorcycles with these cheap kits, and there is certainly an annoying glare in 99% of cases.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Chances are if my stock lamp goes out (or isn't bright enough) I'll find one of those adapters that takes a regular car bulb then use a Sylvania SilverStar bulb in it. They certainly make a huge difference in my car over the stock sealed beams. Of course our sealed beams were already not much different than a bulb capsule glued into the bulb envelope so we figured out how to do surgery on them and use gasket sealer to put regular bulbs in the old envelopes.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts