Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I bought my CX500 back 17 years ago from a family friend while I was a sophomore in college. I ran it for the next 5 years, about 1,000 miles a year. After that it got a lot more sporadic; next five years a total of 1,000 miles. Sadly, it's been sitting now for several years. I think the last time it was on the road and registered was 2015. I'll go outside and check tomorrow after I snowblow and comment below. I'll get the mileage then, too.

Anyway. The reason I'm here is someone that I've looked up to for the last 26 years just passed away, Neil Peart. I saw my first Rush concert in 1994 when I was 13 and they blew my mind. Over the years I've continued to be a fan of him and the band. If you're familiar, Neil was an avid motorcyclist, including taking a 55,000 mile ride to heal from the deaths of his daughter and wife.

I've been having a tough time with his passing, because it was so sudden and unexpected, but also because he was almost superhuman.... a philosopher, musician, and writer. One of the things he was often quoted as saying is "Whats the most excellent thing I can do today?" From his death and my own personal lull, that's why I'm here. Its time to get the old bike back out, and ride for myself and in memory of my departed teacher Neil.

The bike was always in a garage until this last summer when I got a wild hair and pulled it out of storage and brought it home. It's since been under a tarp below the overhang of the garage. The bike ran when parked (in 2015-ish) , but, not that well. For the last couple years I was riding it, it only ran well if I had the choke pulled out a little bit.

I'm interested to hear what everyone's got to say about what work I should put into it. I'd really like to make it a daily rider for my work commute this summer. I drive 70 miles round trip, and my Impala doesn't really get all that great of MPG. Anyway, I'd like to pick the forums' brain and find out 1) am I looking at doing a full engine overhaul at this point? 2) should I leave the carbs stock? 3) should I leave the ignition/spark stock? (I also understand that these questions will be better answered once I post the mileage on the bike.)

I'm a pretty able home mechanic, so I'm not scared to take any work on. I'm more interested in learning about why it was running so poorly its last couple years (and then how to remedy it) but also what more modern touches I could (and should) add to it and have a good reliable daily commuter. The other component, of course, is $$, which my wife and I don't have a lot of. So, most of the work I intend to do myself, unless it's just a total impossibility for a guy of my level.

So, hi. I look forward to working with some folks to help me get this baby back on the road! Thanks!
Dano

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Welcome

This is the place for your project. If you don't have the FSM see my sig line for a free down load. It sound as if your carbs need a good clean/rebuild. There are links to great books in my sig line as well (not my books)
I would run the stator test on you ign. system before you make any decisions.
Start with basic testing and diagnosis before tearing stuff apart. A wise member here likes to say "these bikes don't die, they are murdered"

There are a bunch of members in the Midwest and someone may be close by to lend a hand?

stator_test.png

·
Registered
355 Posts
Welcome,
Yes there are a fair number of CX/GL rider owners in or near the Twin Cities metro area. We have an annual Spring Ride and BBQ. This year on May 30.
Unless once you get the engine running it is making abnormal noises, a complete tear down is not likely needed. These machines are pretty bullet proof and many have been known to pass the 100K mark. Check the FSM for service requirements, since the tires are most likely rock hard do to age, plan to replace those. While you have the wheels removed you can service the wheel bearings and lube the final drive splines. If I were to mention all the details it may be sound like a lot to do. It is all relatively easy and parts are still available. Take you time, clean it up and ride.

Steve

Reactions: dano_d

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. As usual, life gets in the way while we're making plans.....
I have gotten it closer to the garage. Hopefully tomorrow it'll get warmed back up.
Last registered in 2013; I guess it's been a couple more years than I thought since I last rode it.
20k miles on the OD. I'm pretty sure when I bought it it had 13k.
Again, thanks for the help already guys. Looking forward to getting the bike back on the road!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
$$$ Tires okay? Fuel tank and fuel filter checked for rust? A diaphragm in the petcock can give you trouble if it is torn or leaking. Condition of brakes? These things need to be considered before sinking money anywhere else. If you can't afford to bring them up to airworthiness, you might as well put off getting the engine to run. Now by checking the brake system I mean not only the rear linings and front ones for wear, I think you need to figure on the hydraulic components of the brake system might need a total overhaul. That out of the way, carbs for sure, oil and filter (look for metal in the filter pleats) and don't lose the washer that goes with the spring. Compression test, valve adjustment, spark plugs, coolant fluid change and look out for leaks from the water pump housing weep hole. Look in the air filter housing for rodent buildup. At 20,00 miles sometimes the cam chain and components may need attention. If you get it started and it makes unusual noise that is the first thing to consider. How is the suspension? Fork seals leak? Ever have the fluid in the shocks changed? Like nolimitz said, do the stator test first. If that fails, it means removing the engine from the frame and taking the back cover off. While you are in there we can help you decide what else is needed while the back cover is off.
Do all that, THEN you can ride. Send us some pictures of your bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
$$$ Tires okay? Fuel tank and fuel filter checked for rust? A diaphragm in the petcock can give you trouble if it is torn or leaking. Condition of brakes? These things need to be considered before sinking money anywhere else. If you can't afford to bring them up to airworthiness, you might as well put off getting the engine to run. Now by checking the brake system I mean not only the rear linings and front ones for wear, I think you need to figure on the hydraulic components of the brake system might need a total overhaul. That out of the way, carbs for sure, oil and filter (look for metal in the filter pleats) and don't lose the washer that goes with the spring. Compression test, valve adjustment, spark plugs, coolant fluid change and look out for leaks from the water pump housing weep hole. Look in the air filter housing for rodent buildup. At 20,00 miles sometimes the cam chain and components may need attention. If you get it started and it makes unusual noise that is the first thing to consider. How is the suspension? Fork seals leak? Ever have the fluid in the shocks changed? Like nolimitz said, do the stator test first. If that fails, it means removing the engine from the frame and taking the back cover off. While you are in there we can help you decide what else is needed while the back cover is off.
Do all that, THEN you can ride. Send us some pictures of your bike.
You make it sound so easy! lol This is why I'm getting started now.
Tires, absolute need. Was also figuring on the overhaul of the brake hydraulics.
Nice methodical to-do list.

I'll get pictures up soon. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Dano, If you need help, PM me with your email and/or phone number. I have been working on CX and GL motorcycles for over 20 years. Ask on the forum and you will find that I am legitimate. I can talk you through almost anything or you can bring your bike to me and I can get you rolling again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Holy Hell.

I'm back. It's been an interesting 4 months since I signed in to say hello. Leaving all of the global pandemic out of it....I'm finally able to get working on the bike.

I did in fact get it in the garage shortly after my first post, however, my wife and I had just opened a coffee shop/ cafe back in November, so all of this stuff really made things tight for a bit.

Here's the bike. Not in as great of shape as she's ever been, but good for her age.

The other side.
20200201_140920.jpg
20200201_141009.jpg
20200201_141041.jpg

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Welcome, to another Minnesotan on the Forum!
Did you get a chance to make the resistance checks on the ignition? Does the engine turn over by hand via the crank bolt (under the access port cover below the radiator)?
If you're willing to drive up to the NE Minneapolis area some weekend, I can help you strip and clean your carbs.

Randall

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Welcome aboard!
Book'em Dano!

Reactions: dano_d

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did do the resistance checks. I was a little low on the 5/9 @ 353. Not real low, but still out of spec. She does indeed turn over. Regarding the carbs, I've been chatting with Murray and I think I'm just going to send them to him, I've read a lot of good things in the forum about his tuning. I appreciate the offer of help, but my wife and I are small business owners, so time is really hard to come by. I'm really kinda stuck to just 2-3 hours of spare time a week, hence the infrequent postings and extremely slow progress of my project. It'll be finished when it's finished, ha!

Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts