Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a one year wonder GL650I with the wiring that looks like a rats nest so hoping to look over threads an decide if wire it normal or strip it an chopper wire it. Hope all is well!

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Some where on this forum there is supposed to exist, wiring diagrams for these bikes in layers and color. Try the search function and see what you can find.

·
Super Moderator
13,032 Posts
1) The GL650 was NOT a "one year wonder". They were only imported to the US in 1983 but the rest of the world had them in '84 too (the same for the CX650C and the CX650E that the US didn't get any of).

2) The layered wiring drawing for the GL500 may help but note that there are differences between the 500 and 650 wiring, most notable that the GL500 doesn't have the electric fan and its switch. Also, that is for the "standard" model so it doesn't include the wiring in the fairing.

3) Believe it or not, there was a very good reason for every wire Honda included in the original harness. Yes, it will work with simpler wiring but you may lose features like the front turn signals doubling as marker lights (anything that makes it harder for car drivers to not see you can save your life). If your original wiring has been tampered with it you might be better off looking for a good used wiring harness than trying to repair what you have.

Welcome to the forum. Please add your location to your profile and your bike's model and model year to your signature (see Forum Settings link in my signature) so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget.

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike has had 37 years of Previous Owners who may or may not have done the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage. While you are in the Wiki look for the coloured wiring drawing (these are the ones Clymer published before they started printing them in black & white - they aren't broken out into individual circuits like the "layered" ones but they do show everything) for your model and the Honda Wire Color Codes chart.

I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel because old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet. If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts