Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've already bugged some people on the technical forum about some electrical questions, but since the bike is now mine I thought I'd a proper introduction.

I'm a 33 year old (motion) graphics designer from the Netherlands and never owned a bike before, I don't have the license to ride one and I definitely don't have any technical skills whatsoever regarding motorcycles. For a while now I've been following sites like Pipeburn, Return of the Cafe Racers and Moto Mucci and have since grown fond of brat/cafe styled bikes and since about a day I'm the proud owner of a1982 CX500 E Sport, including a second engine, transmission, clutch, brake discs and various other smaller parts.

Despite my lack of skills and the fact that this bike may be rare in some parts of the world (and it might be blasphemous to some of you) I intend to transform this bike into my very own cafe racer, using my design skills in a whole different way than I'm used to. Oh, and learning a thing or two about bike mechanics along the way as well.

They're already posted in the technical thread, but here are some pictures of the bike in it's current state:

I've also started a blog, on which I'll attempt to post my inspiration and progress with the bike: cgme.nl

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Welcome! I agree with you, some people are NOT going to like this build ;). You have a great looking bike to start with, and having the extra parts is a plus. Don't worry about not having the mechanical skills, you will learn.

Just remember; "measure twice, cut once"

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Welcome from the "low lands" of Louisiana USA...

An unmitigated travesty not to send me all those unused body parts, seat and fueltank while you are converting to cafe...:p

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As both money and time aren't really in abundance at the moment I'll probably start working on getting it running first and cleaning/polishing things that'll stay on the bike no matter what (like the engine for example). Disassembly and transforming will not occur on short notice so there's still an odd chance the bike will stay intact and even improved for reselling.

When I do start tearing it down, I'll let you know and you're more than welcome to come over and pick up the body parts nolavox ;)

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Don't tempt me... LOL:smileinbox:

I've never seen a euro version here and maybe only two or three other CX-GLs around New Orleans. If it were practical, I'd swap bikes with you... Mine runs like a champ.

I'm a non-conformist, so I'm keeping my custom stock...

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
It's your bike, you do what you want with it
I do with mine
Not exactly a fan of cafe racers but I have seen and admired some good ones.
I like to see a good balance between form and function.
My own bike doesn't meet this criteria I hasten to add, Its very non standard, but very functional with only the slightest nod
to anything resembling attractive :D

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm far from a purist with my own bike, but man if I had that one my goal would be to restore it. That thing looks so cool and I'd love to have it. Good luck either way, as long as you love it that's all that really matters. Congrats and welcome.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.