Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after a long wait, many many hours researching and tons of questions asked the bike fired up like a charm

It was a tense moment, but boy did it start smooth and soft.

The fan did not come on, I think the wires for the temp switch need swapped. And the rear brake needs resetting - it isn't hooked up completely.

I want to check the tappets before it goes out on the road.

But other than that it seems to run well.

So for an idea here is what I've done

- triple bypass (with g-8 stator and ignitech)

- renewed all o-rings and oil seals (including tach, but not including any head work--yet)

- switched to electric fan

- had Larry's help with the carbs

- changed out the coils

- changed all cables (except speedo-cable. I know the least about changing it....??)

- got a new battery (trying out the motobatt brand)

- replaced the sealed beam with a glass lamp, h4 bulb, and a couple led lights.

I have a electronic flasher for the rest of the bulbs, but haven't put it in yet.

- rebuilt the starter and cleaned out the ignition switch.

- also trying out Marshall's 7-volt regulator.

- once I get it all together, I'll give the sportster mufflers another go...

I'm sure then everything will line up cleaner. I'd like to use them and try Shep's tuning fork.

- my father in-law gave me a fiamm loud horn...
? He's eager to hear that. (he asks about it every time we talk)

- Cleaned it up, wiped off all the grease buildup, lightly polished everything.

- Cleaned up all electrical connections and used some dielectric grease and ACF-50.

- oh yea, I had a radiator shop work on the radiator. They cleaned it to the bone and pressure tested it.

I have a new master cylinder (from Randakk's site - the price was so close to the e-bay sources, which increased their prices, and I'm interested to see what this adjustable brake lever will be like). I also picked up a stainless brake line from JDA.

Right now I'm thinking of having a mechanic do the brake system. The system cost so much money that I'd almost rather spend another couple bucks to have it done without any suspense, if you know what I mean. But then again, maybe a rider/home mechanic friend of mine will lend a hand. He just successfully revamped his brake system (2006 Honda Hornet-919).

That just about covers it. It has been such a blast working through the whole process.

I can't believe I've been so patient. It was certainly worth it.

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED OUT !!

-- Keith

·
Registered
801 Posts
Congrats Keith... after all that the brakes are easy. I have a pnumatic brake bleeder if you want to borrow it

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Way to go, Keith. Button it up and get some nice time in, as the best of the season is on us now.....or close.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
great news Kieth,well done,a nice picture of the finished product would be nice

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you !!

Congrats Keith... after all that the brakes are easy. I have a pnumatic brake bleeder if you want to borrow it

That is an incredible offer !! Let me talk to my buddy in town and I'll get back to ya on that one.

Thank you guys - I can't say it enough. I'll take some pictures and get them up here today.

It was a year and a half project filled with researching and of course picking up parts & tools. I pulled it out of the garage to start it

and when it finally turned over and held it up at a higher rpm... I shut it off grabbed a cigar & beer and just smiled

I'll head back over there (the sister-in-law's garage), one last time, to finish up these few loose ends. Then we get a Sunny Sunday !!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK so the first few safety checks are complete.

The coolant does indeed flow through the radiator !! Better still the electric fan comes ON and goes OFF appropriately

Shep I never doubted you, but this part of the rebuild was one of the most nerve-racking. That could also be because it was the last one to verify (the bike obviously needed to run properly first).

And I got the rear brake adjusted (brake light and brake/drum). I think I may just go for a ride.

The LAST CHECK LIST:

Button everything up

Take a picture

·
Registered
583 Posts
Congrats! Another bike breathes

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are a couple pictures I took. I'll take some nicer pictures later.

The radiator cover needs to be trimmed a bit to fit after the crash bars are in. I'll get to that Monday.

But it's a start !!

·
Registered
8,422 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Well after a quick trip into Carnation, and a nice visit with Steve Slim, we successfully replaced the brake line (JDA) and master cylinder (Randakk).

What a difference !! I can't compare the improvements individually, but together they're fantastic. Very happy with it.

Thank You Steve !! I couldn't have done it with ya
Cleaning the caliper, pads, and rotor made such a difference too. The pneumatic bleeder is incredible.

We hooked it up to the bleed valve at the bottom and kept adding brake fluid until the line was full. And we've found a few trees that could use some pruning...

That way I can share some time and help him along the way
But most importantly we have found another CX/GL buddy to ride with.

Once everything was bolted back we swapped keys and went for a ride
It was a blast hearing the engines side-by-side !!

Summer is nearly here. I really hope we can get some other folks in the area together for a ride.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Shoreride here's a pic of our bikes after our ride

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.