Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Why is it that the petcock and radiator cap get dull and oxidized looking so quickly compared to the other parts that polish up ? A little polish and they are right back to looking great but if it gets say "foggy" in the garage when it warms up outside I notice that they dull up real quick.

Want to talk about REALLY nit picky ? I also noticed that the big brake pedal return spring also does this.

2. I saw on a Randaaks news letter once that he had some nice carb/airbox-carb/boot clamps that were shiny aluminum looking (not painted black like the OEM's you can order) that I think were for Goldwings....has anyone tried those and/or would they even fit on a CX...are they "adjustable" enough to do so ??

3. I saw some pics of some carbs with the gold screws on the caps etc....I was wondering are those available anywhere ?? I think I've seen them on some "Larry Carbs".

Thank you and Happy/Safe Cruising !

·
Registered
810 Posts
For #3 Rickbert you can make your own gold colored screws. Take a glass and fill it halfway with vinegar. Put a dozen or so pennies in there. Put your carb screws in and watch the magic. After a few hours You'll have copper clad screws.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
For #3 Rickbert you can make your own gold colored screws. Take a glass and fill it halfway with vinegar. Put a dozen or so pennies in there. Put your carb screws in and watch the magic. After a few hours You'll have copper clad screws.

I might do that just to do it....... sounds fun.. lol

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Rick, I've got the perfect fix for your problem #1 - just let the rest of your bike get to be the same faded, dull color and/or just paint all the shiny bits black.  That way no worries about things matching!

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
I wonder if the Moderators have the capability to change the Grand Nagus for Rick to read Bling Nagus?

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
I'll love the day he figures out how to shine his tires to match his forks. I can see it now, polished little mirrors on the sidewalls.

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
307 Posts
my advice? find a guy that works at a local plating shop. chances are, he can chrome plate parts for you on the side, for really cheap. I got my valve covers, all my handlebar stuff (levers, switch housings, brake levers and MC), carb caps, lots of bolts nuts and screws, starter caps and some other odds & ends chromed plus my fenders, license plate bracket, tail light metal backing re-chromed for about $320. the fenders were pitted real bad, so they didnt come out perfect, but at least they wont be rusting anymore, and they are shiny again! Best part is that These parts wont require continuous polishing :0

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
I wonder if the Moderators have the capability to change the Grand Nagus for Rick to read Bling Nagus?

Not that I know of but my guess is no. Charles probably can but everyone would have the same title.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I'm pulling crap out of thin air now just looking for something to do, shine, work on, polish WHATEVER.

I can see now why a lot of you have more than one bike.....I have nothing else to do to this one, really, need SOMETHING to do !!

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
Not that I know of but my guess is no. Charles probably can but everyone would have the same title.

I'm not too sure of that. I just checked another board I visit that just switched to this newer version of the IPB software, and the Admin. there was able to give individual titles to people. She did it as a little joke at first for one of the guys who is a real clown (also a very smart fellow), and soon others were asking about their titles. She's changed several now.

That is why the question came to me. Was seeing if the Mods. had that ability. I suppose it might be better if they didn't. Wouldn't want to upset the apple cart, so to speak.

Thanks.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yeah I'm pulling crap out of thin air now just looking for something to do, shine, work on, polish WHATEVER.

I can see now why a lot of you have more than one bike.....I have nothing else to do to this one, really, need SOMETHING to do !!
Well, with all of thet free time, how bout coming here and making my bike look half as good ss yours!!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
1. Why is it that the petcock and radiator cap get dull and oxidized looking so quickly compared to the other parts that polish up ? A little polish and they are right back to looking great but if it gets say "foggy" in the garage when it warms up outside I notice that they dull up real quick.

Next time, after you polish them, hit them lightly with the Duplicolor Truck & SUV clear. Takes a while to dry but solid as a rock.

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you decide to make the trip to Durham, Rick, you can stop here in Maiden and do mine next!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Well, with all of thet free time, how bout coming here and making my bike look half as good ss yours!!

If you decide to make the trip to Durham, Rick, you can stop here in Maiden and do mine next!

If you want to come up this way and visit/ crash for the night we can grab some steaks, throw them on the grill, and I'll show you my bike... I'm sure in comparison my will be sufficiently in need of polishing that you won't be able to resist it... LOL

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
If you want to come up this way and visit/ crash for the night we can grab some steaks, throw them on the grill, and I'll show you my bike... I'm sure in comparison my will be sufficiently in need of polishing that you won't be able to resist it... LOL
You know how some people can't refuse popping those sheets of plastic bubbles??? I think that is Rick with polishing!!!

I prefer to spend my time riding and getting the bike dirty ...

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You know how some people can't refuse popping those sheets of plastic bubbles??? I think that is Rick with polishing!!!

I prefer to spend my time riding and getting the bike dirty ...

Oh yeah David, I do too....I'd rather ride but let's face it, MOST of the time you CAN'T ride....that's a FACT !

So what to do in the mean time....well make her look great !

BTW....it's real odd that you all say that about my polishing fetish because right before I sat down to the computer just now my boredom took me out to the garage where I polished the center stand and side stand springs.
Believe it or not they now shine like chrome...LMAO

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.