Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tank looks great. Ill post a pic tomorrow. I did not want to take it off of its hanger for fear I would drop it. Tomorrow everything gets clear coated.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That dose look very nice, very nice indeed. Is that gloss black and charcoal?

Thanks!

The black is a dupont color that just says black. The charcoal is a charcoal paint with metal flake. The flake does not show up well in the pics.

·
Registered
60 Posts
man I can't paint, ask cdyoung.. I showed him my cover and wanted to cry.. It was butt ugly and I screwed it, oh well.. I need someone to show me how not to screw up paint.. haha god my cover is horrible.. Yours makes me jealous, like really jealous, good job man.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
man I can't paint, ask cdyoung.. I showed him my cover and wanted to cry.. It was butt ugly and I screwed it, oh well.. I need someone to show me how not to screw up paint.. haha god my cover is horrible.. Yours makes me jealous, like really jealous, good job man.

Come down to Indiana some time and we can do some painting. I am no expert. In fact I am pretty excited that mine does not suck. I think I am figuring it out well enough to do basic paint jobs though.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I believe your issue was the plastic not being properly prepped, and that you used rattle can, usually a rattle can paint job is VERY hard to pull off, even for someone who knows what they're doing, but all the bumps and stuff has to be from the plastic not being smooth before painting, it looks like it was VERY rough before you start painting, whatever the plastic looks like before the paint is what it will look like after

·
Registered
128 Posts
No shaking on this one. I used a spray gun and good quality paint from an auto paint store. It made a huge difference.

I've been looking to paint mine soon, and this makes me wish I had a spray gun. The closest thing I have is an airbrush. Maybe this can be my excuse to get one.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you plan to put new decals on it? If so might wanna clear over em. Paint looks nicely done.

Shalom

Michael

For now, I think I am just going to keep it simple and not use decals. I may add them later. I have a lot of reassembly to do and I need to rebuild my motor, so decals just seem like one more thing to do. I am really hoping to get this thing back together and ride it by August.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Reagan40,man this a great job, if you paint any more please show pics, i'm getting the itch to paint .I have an extra pair to play around with. I did have a question since I don't know better, did you use a base primer for plastic on the side covers ?​

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Reagan40,man this a great job, if you paint any more please show pics, i'm getting the itch to paint .I have an extra pair to play around with. I did have a question since I don't know better, did you use a base primer for plastic on the side covers ?​

I did use a primer. I put three coats of primer on it, then I wet sanded it with 600 grit paper. It took a very small amount of sanding to get it smooth. Careful on the edges, even with 600 grit, you can easily go through to the plastic.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I assembled the frame, air box, and rear fenders last night. I put a side cover on and had a friend hold the tank in place just to get an idea. I think I am going to like it!

I forgot to order the steering bearings last week, so I am at a stand still until I get that. Hopefully they will come in by the end of the week. On Friday, I am going to take the wheels to the local shop and have new tires put on. It is a shame, the old tires still hold air and have plenty of tread. Apparently, the PO did not ride too much on his new tires before he parked it and let is sit for 20 years. They are showing some signs of dry rot. There are cracks, but the air pressure is dead on. I value my life too much to try to use them though.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is beautiful! It isn't your 1st paint job is it?

I have painted car bumpers or doors on junky cars before with the rattle cans, but this is my first time to paint something nice. If you look closely, there are some small imperfections, but fortunately you all cannot see them well in the pics. It is good enough that I will be proud to ride it, but not good enough for a show bike.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.