Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I would like to inform everyone that I am a dumb-a*** and that it is NOT a good idea to make your first attempt at putting a clutch together at 2 am after coming home from work. Not only did I fail to count and verify the number of friction disks against the service manual, but I also failed to verify that the previous owner had set up the clutch with the correct number of friction disks. My torque wrench is honestly probably fine...

I tried to put it on with one friction disk too few the first time. This resulted in a much lower torque on the spring bolts producing a much higher clamping force, causing the final metal plate to deform - when it deformed into the backing plate, I suspect that that put an uneven load on the backing plate and snapped the leg off. Luckily I had a full additional set of spare clutch plates handy and y'all were able to assist me with fixing the backing plate. I've successfully gotten it back together now.

And I have a new wall decoraction over my bench:

Since my Rae-San is still on the way, I figured this week would be a good time to tackle the front brakes. I've ordered a metal brake line and a rebuild kit for the caliper, as well as a replacement master cylinder. I've also ordered a replacement rubber boot for the shift lever since the original was missing.

Thanks to @Sidecar Bob pointing me at @murrayf, I'm now really considering getting one of his nice carbs instead of rebuilding the one I've got. They're so pretty.

I've found the manual and stuff for the aftermarket gauge cluster but getting it figured out is a pretty low priority at this juncture -- something else to worry about once the engine is back together.
Got the head that's off all cleaned up and found out that the previous owner lost the oil metering orifice.... more $$! Luckily a shop down in FL had a NOS one for $20 shipped.

Also, I've now officially got my motorcycle endorsement, which is WAY too easy in AL - just a 25 question written test. I'm signed up for an MSF course in early October (the only ones being offered right now are at the HD dealership in Montgomery) and my goal is to have this bike together and legal by then so I can start riding immediately after the course.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ok, cylinder head is back on. My new master cylinder/lever, stainless braided brake line, and caliper rebuild kit came, as well as my new low range torque wrench (better safe than sorry!) A set of mirrors arrived as well.

I put in a big order with Murray for a set of his midpipes along with the mosfet and 7v reg/rec. Ordered a G8 stator from a reputable source recommended here as well; if it ever fails I have some confidence knowing the place that does rewinding is two hours away in B'ham. I also spotted a cheap set of Dyna mufflers in good shape on eBay and scooped them up along with a slightly blemished (but not moldy!) seat cover.

This weekend's goal is to get the engine front cover and tach drive back on. If I have time I'd like to get the wheels off and start in on that front caliper, as I won't be able to get the back cover on the engine until the new stator shows up [not to mention Ray's ignition module, which is currently "clear of customs and awaiting international departure" in Melbourne... And has been since Saturday :( ]

The next big order is going to be a set of tuned Mikuni carbs from Murray, as well as tires and a battery. It seems I also may need the LH switchgear and clutch lever, or a suitable replacement... And probably a fuel petcock and some fuel hose. I really need to start getting that rust out of there soon.

Lots to do!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts