Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
No matter whar the SI unit of torque is - either imperial or metric, the very last fixing i`d be using a torque wrench on a CX engine is the water pump impeller nut - calibrated 1/4" wrench or not, those 40 year old threads just cannot be trusted.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
No matter whar the SI unit of torque is - either imperial or metric, the very last fixing i`d be using a torque wrench on a CX engine is the water pump impeller nut - calibrated 1/4" wrench or not, those 40 year old threads just cannot be trusted.
So you just use the German method, "good in tight'?

·
Super Moderator
4,658 Posts
Yes, the way it was expressed as 6-9 lb/ft implies a load of 6-9 lb over a one foot radius.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Thread lock, and "barely tight."
So hand tight or torque wrench? I'm kind of leery using anything short of some $600 snap on torque wrench to be accurate @ 6-9 ft/lbs. And as Jah mentioned, can you really trust one on this old (pretty iffy setup) cam/impeller assembly? I have a S&K wrench that i may have stripped a threaded hole out at lower torque values so kind of hesitant to use it. Many have suggested a cheap torque wrench is better than no wrench at all so i'm curious what "luck" others have had torqueing the water impeller and clutch basket bolts. I've read some unhappy stories for both assemblies and don't want to be the next one to add my sob story.

·
Super Moderator
4,658 Posts
Try the water pump impeller nut when it has been replaced by a square SAE nut. That doesn't do nice things to the threads. I now have the proper dome nut and copper crush washer and faith in thread locker. So far so good (on my CX650E)

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I like the German method. Maybe it's the German in me. I didn't use a torque wrench on mine out of fear of stripping it. When I used my best judgement on torque I used a 1/4" ratchet so I had a short handle rather than a 3/8" ratchet.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
16,227 Posts
I thought precision was a German trait.....

Speaking as someone who has had an impeller nut come off and who has read of more than a few cases where the threaded end of the camshaft has been snapped off, that is the one part of the engine where I would never, ever try to estimate the torque by feel.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
The complement applies to the German people in general but not to anyone who would refuse to use the proper instrument.....
If you are so firm on using the “proper instrument”, how is it that you had an impeller nut come off? I have now put over 10,000 miles on my bike since replacing my mechanical seal and I have zero problems with my impeller nut that was torqued by feel.

·
Super Moderator
16,227 Posts
My impeller nut came off because I thought I could tighten it by feel as I had done in the past. The time before that the nut had stayed on place for something like 20,000 Km. That time it only stayed on for about 6-7,000 Km.
Oddly, betrween the time I tightened it and the time it came loose I got a 1/4" torque wrench and I have used it every time I have tightened an impeller nut since.

·
Registered
1982 CX500C
26 Posts
This thread is a great read! I believe the correct pronunciation for the German spec is “Guttentight” :)

On the note of torque wrenches, I have a Tekton 1/4” torque wrench with a range of 10-150 inch pounds that’s proven VERY useful and reliable - I’d recommend getting one because it’s worth the money but not as expensive as snap on or similar brands.

If you’re concerned about it, apply some yellow thread lock to a few threads.

·
Super Moderator
16,227 Posts
I had been spinning wrenches for about 50 years, first on bicycles, then on motorcycles, mowers &c at the time. I thought I had a pretty good feel for how tight things need to be. I was wrong.

·
Super Moderator
22,279 Posts
I use a torque wrench. But you still need to feel when things aren't right and call it quits - otherwise known as chickening out.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Also deflecting beam T/wrench rather than spring dependent wrenches are something to consider in these delicate situations....
the D/beam doesnt need "routine calibration" but is SINGLE-DIRECTIONAL......

21 - 40 of 46 Posts