Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Honda CX500c
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was starting the button up process on my triple bypass and was reinstalling the water pump - while tightening the nut that holds the impeller on the bolt snapped. Now I’m dead in the water so to speak.

what am I looking at here. From what I can tell it’s part of the camshaft? Looks like riding this weekend is out of the question now.

·
Registered
1982 cx500tc turbo
82 Posts
hi
That's bad news
Pull the cam out and have a machine shop drill and tap the cam and install a stud
Make sure the stud is the same lenght as the broken one because the closed nut need to fit
Make sure you have the washer on the back side and use a new honda copper washer

Yes the cam is cast and it can be drilled and taped
Use a torque wrench and a good one that you can trust
Good luck

TLD

·
Super Moderator
4,677 Posts
Nolimitz the end portion of the camshaft can be removed and a replacement end pressed on, but still requires removal of the camshaft from the block.

Oliver79, almost time for a replacement engine if you can find a runner local to you.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,417 Posts
Use a torque wrench and a good one that you can trust
And verify your torque setting. Remember, that's a 6mm stud. The nut takes a 10mm socket, but that's not what's used to determine torque.
There might be a specific value for that nut in the FSM. It should be around 10 ft-lbs or less, max.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
16,291 Posts
Yep. And it has to be just right - too tight and it breaks, not tight enough and it can come off and all the coolant comes out the weep hole. Definitely a good reason to own a 1/4" torque wrench.....

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
foot pounds = pound feet.
The idea is that some pounds are pushing along a circle perimeter (tangent) so that the force is always perpendicular to a point that is some feet radius away.
Torque in mechanics and bending moment in building structures are the same thing.
Professor Goodman actually did give me zero credit on a difficult test question because I forgot to put the units on the answer, and needless to say, I learned my lesson.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,417 Posts
Foot pounds or pound feet? We're multiplying, so the order doesn't matter.
I used to argue in Structures class that torque and bending moment were the same thing applied in different situations. The instructor didn't want to agree.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts