Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found an oil leak today which was coming from the base of the tach drive unit. A few months ago I took the broken one unit off and replaced it myself with another unit. Problem now is that I can't remember how to get the cam gear to mesh with the drive gear so that the unit will seat completely. Please help. Very frustrated in New Jersey, Dan

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
Dan, rotate the engine so there is the least amount of valves opening. This will take some of the pressure off the cam that's being pushed down by the valve springs. You will have to tap the cam carrier in lightly with a mallet. Don't worry you won't hurt anything as long as you verify the tack drive gear is engaged as you start to hammer it in. The machined tapper at the front of the carrier will slide the cam up and in place as you hammer it in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dan, rotate the engine so there is the least amount of valves opening. This will take some of the pressure off the cam that's being pushed down by the valve springs. You will have to tap the cam carrier in lightly with a mallet. Don't worry you won't hurt anything as long as you verify the tack drive gear is engaged as you start to hammer it in. The machined tapper at the front of the carrier will slide the cam up and in place as you hammer it in.

Worked just fine. Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
Glad I could help. Better safe than sorry. Good luck on the build.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.