Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,270 Posts
Popping during deceleration is often caused by a leak in the exhaust system.

Did you figure out how the fuel got into the oil? That's usually from a carb overfilling...

Did you ever get the camchain tensioner adjuster set correctly? Once that is done you can use a dental mirror or an endoscope/borescope type camera to look at the adjuster and tell how worn the camchain is.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,040 Posts
How far east are you in Wisconsin? If you're in western Wisconsin, I might be within reach.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Popping on deceleration is a symptom of a failed carb air cutoff diaphragm, simple to replace or bypass. Or just live with it, mine has done that for years with no further issues. The head area leaks don’t appear very serious and are very likely the valve cover seal, another simple problem. I would focus on the aluminum in the oil, cam chain and guides probably. Don’t be overwhelmed by the other relatively harmless issues. Once it’s runnable you can address other minor things. Just my take on it. You’re getting advice from very experienced CX/GL mechanics (not me LOL), discount it at your peril! Good luck!

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Popping on deceleration is a symptom of a failed carb air cutoff diaphragm, simple to replace or bypass. Or just live with it, mine has done that for years with no further issues. The head area leaks don’t appear very serious and are very likely the valve cover seal, another simple problem. I would focus on the aluminum in the oil, cam chain and guides probably. Don’t be overwhelmed by the other relatively harmless issues. Once it’s runnable you can address other minor things. Just my take on it. You’re getting advice from very experienced CX/GL mechanics (not me LOL), discount it at your peril! Good luck!
Thanks for the encouraging words. The popping out the exhaust I can live with. It's the popping out the head area that concerns me. It's been so long since I rode her it's hard to remember what's going on with it anymore.

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Popping during deceleration is often caused by a leak in the exhaust system.

Did you figure out how the fuel got into the oil? That's usually from a carb overfilling...

Did you ever get the camchain tensioner adjuster set correctly? Once that is done you can use a dental mirror or an endoscope/borescope type camera to look at the adjuster and tell how worn the camchain is.
No I haven't looked into any of it yet. Work, kids, life are taking up most of my time. Also was able to get out on a few rides with a borrowed bike. Very well could be exhaust leaks as I have Harley mufflers welded on, not very well I might add. I tried looking into the case with a mirror. Mirror was just to big to really get in and see what I wanted to see. I've been looking at a way to get some of Murray's carbs. We'll see if I can make it happen. I found a rebuilt engine and new set of Murray's carbs on here that would really do the trick but again money and distance are issues. Rt now my plan is to do the stator (?) test to make sure charging and electrical system is ok. Hopefully I can figure that out. Then drop the engine and start going thru it. I really hate doing things twice and not having parts ready to put back in is a pain but I need to do something. If you think this is a solid start let me know. Thanks again for the help, info on trying to figure this out.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts