Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[/img]GL500I fuse block disassembly for repair

The fuse block between the handle bars on my 81 GL500I needs a bit of work. One of the brass looking tabs that contacts with the fuse is broken off so the unit needs to come apart for repair. I can figure out how to take it apart but with all the good talent here – I know I can get some great input before I start.

Has anyone had to do this repair?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
The manual had your answer. I'm almost willing to put money on it that someone hardwired your headlight to one of the other fused wires.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
My preference would be to get a good used fuse block from ebay. There are over a dozen listed right now - do a search for GL500 fuse.

Ditto.A repair to the posted one wouldn't last long IMHO.

YMMV.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The fuse still clicks in and is held by the top two post and makes contact with the one lower post to operate the tail light and instrument lights. However, it's not great.

Replacing sounds like a good idea and it is amazing how available parts are at reasonable prices! I'll try finding one here on the forum and then go to the Bay if needed.

Good thoughts - thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Of course I'm a Ninja Bodger<grin>(To bodge=UK slang for hack) and always think,"What if I was in a place where I could not get parts".

I would be ripping a similar fuse holder piece off some defunct thing and be soldering it into place

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shep - yep - I do have a new fuse holder piece that a friend gave me. Just the brass piece with all 4 prongs - we shall see. Ebay might be too easy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.