Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read several posts on testing my gl650I stator but am having trouble understanding my results. I checked the resistance on the 3 yellow wires in pairs and all tested like they should. I then checked from ground (negative battery terminal) to each of the yellow wires. I was surprised to find continuity to ground on each of the yellow wires. I read that means my stator is bad. So, I then put my voltmeter on the battery, it read 12.2V. I started the bike and held the rpm at about 2000 and the voltage read 14.7. Is there something wrong with my stator ? Should it be replaced now, or wait until the charging stops........

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,346 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Your voltage sounds about right and your battery is charging. I think it's OK but I don't understand your test results to ground.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
stator is grounded ???

Your voltage sounds about right and your battery is charging. I think it's OK but I don't understand your test results to ground.

I tested for continuity between each of the yellow wires from the stator to ground and found each of the yellows wires show continuity to ground. But yet when the engine is running a voltage check shows 14.7 V. So, is my stator OK ???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how I tested

Was it disconnected from the regulator when it showed continuity to earth ?
Yes, the 3 yellow wire connector was unplugged. I tested for continuity for each yellow wire to ground and each of the 3 showed continuity to ground. But when running, the battery voltage shows 14.7V. So, is the stator bad ?

·
Registered
218 Posts
It does sound odd. Is there any chance you checked the wire harness side of the plug to ground by mistake?? . Also was the reading in the meg-ohm as tested. 1+ Meg-ohm might still be ok as it is such a tiny amount of leakage.

Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Super Moderator
21,439 Posts
Good point.

But we see this in G47 stators from time to time. The bike charges well enough but the short to earth upsets the CDI windings.

So it may be a similar situation without CDI windings to upset.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Problem Resolved !!

Thanks to everybody for their suggestions. I rechecked the stator tonight, paying special attention to the connector that has the 3 yellow wires. I discovered that I had tested the wires from the wrong side of the connector. Now, the continuity checks as it should and my stator has passed all the tests and working fine. I guess my vision is not as good as it once was...:(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts