Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I am a newb at bikes as a matter of fact this one is my first one, and I am trying to get it up and running, I have the engine almost done, waiting for a new air filter which should be in on monday but the front Caliber is frozen. The front brake lever is also not budging. An help or suggestions?

thanks

John

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
It sounds like you will need to take the caliper assembly off and give it a good soaking in brake cleaner. If the lever is tight, you will probably need to rework the master cylinder as well. A full overhaul is on the list here. You can do a search for caliper and master and find a lot that way.

If you don't have a factory service manual, you can find it in the Quick Reference, or in Blindstitches' signature line.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Tell us a little more about what you are fighting, John. Do you have the caliper off the bike and can't push out the piston with the brake lever? If that is the case, you have some serious blockage or binding somewhere. I'm just guessing, but the brake lever probably applies several hundred to a thousand pounds of outward pressure on the piston when squeezed hard. If that doesn't pop out the piston not much will.

If you don't have the caliper off, take it off and hold it above a catch pan. If your caliper has two pistons, insert a paint stirring stick inside to prevent one piston coming out before the other one moves out. I would also wrap a shop towel over the caliper, as you may get some squirting of fluid when the piston comes out.

Thanks for setting up your profile correctly and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Don't push the caliper piston in! You just makes things a lot worse. To get the piston out, first try some compressed air, you'll need to put a bolt in the hole where the line goes, and slowly pressurize via the bleeder screw. Put a rag in front of the piston, and keep your appendages such as fingers out of the line of fire, the piston can pop out with some force.

If it stuck to the point where air doesn't work, you can use a hand held grease gun to inject grease into the caliper, the piston comes out every time with this method.

Get a new brake hose, DO NOT trust the one on the bike even if it looks fine.

A caliper rebuild kit, a master rebuild kit, a new brake hose and I'd throw in some new pads for good measure to do the job right.

Take it all apart, clean it up, an ultrasonic is a big plus. If, (when actually) you find rust in the nook of the master, Home Depot etc. sell nylon brushes for boiler cleaning that work great at getting to the accumulated rust/grease and general gunk that's formed in the barrel of the master.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is what is happening right now The front wheel spins. The lever for the break barely moves at all and is not effecting the caliber in the least. when i try to squeeze the lever there is no give at all. I am thinking a rebuild of the caliber and master cylinder will be in order. what has me a little nervous is that the lever is also broken, and there are dents in the tank (small) which leads me to believe if even just in the basement it was dropped a couple of times.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Sounds like the caliper is seized. Had the same problem on my bike, and rebuilt both the master cylinder and caliper. Made a few stupid moves doing the job (before i found this forum), so I will tell you how I did it and what mistakes I made that you should avoid lol.

I couldnt budge the pistons, so I sat the whole caliper in penitrating oil (WD40) for the night. Next morning me and the kid went to work on it. I used a compressor to get the pistons to move. Actauly had to puch the pistons in a bit to get them to start moving. I had one come out nice, and put it back in to work on the other one. wedged a piece of steel bock infront of the freed one to keep it in the caliper while I had the kid apply compressor pressure. Well, kid isnt to good at directions, and before I could get a block and rag ready, he freed up the piston... sending it about 1/2" past my head and across the garage. The apint stick idea is a great one, lets the piston come almost all the way out (was also using old brake pads to set spacing) to the point it can be removed by hand.

If the pistons are really bad you may need new ones, mine were ok once I cleaned all the crap off them and out of the caliper. Make sure you clean out all the little passages and get a rebuild kit (on Ebay, bnot very expensive and well worth it). This way you get new seals and boots.

The master cylinder will need a rebuild kit as well, and make sure you clean the tiny hole that goes from the resevour into the piston cylinder (mine was plugged so bad I actually had to carefully drill it clear (very small bit). Agree with cobram 100%, get a new brake line (steel braded if you can, they look nice) while the old one may look ok on the outside, you can be sure the inside has just as much if not even more crud in it than you found in the caliper/master cylinder. Some things on the bike need to 100%, and your brakes are at the top of the list

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.