Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

First time poster, only had my CX for a month before my battery died. Got a replacement sent via the PO and the terminals were backwards, so I only noticed when the bike sparked. Figure I need to replace the nain fuse, only can't find a picture if it in my manual, or what type I need to replace it. Any help is appreciated! Cheers

·
Registered
59 Posts
What year? My 1980 had a glass 20amp fuse in a white/yellowish plastic holder.

Find a wiring diagram for your year of bike, trace the route from the battery to it and you will find it.

Wiring diagrams are in the wiki.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
might be a chance to convert to a modern automotive cartridge-type fuze. Its an easy fit task and well worth the effort. Do a search on the forums for the details

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
15,762 Posts
Put your bike's year & model in your signature (access via settings) so we won't have to ask every time you have a question.

Your bike's main fuse should be an exposed link type under a cover on the side of the solenoid. These fuses tend to become brittle over time and can eventually fall apart so even if you hadn't blown yours replacing it would be recommended.

I am not sure whether fuse wire is common in NZ, but if it is you can just use a piece of 30A wire. If it is not the recommended fix is to add ring terminals to a blade fuse holder and install that in place of the original link so that if you ever need to replace the fuse again you can get a replacement anywhere that has car parts.

fuse holder.JPG

·
Registered
787 Posts
Then you've been immortalized in the wiki Bob. I guess that's pretty cool.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
15,762 Posts
So many of the stuff that those of us who were here in the early days brought with us has become more or less standard operating procedure over the years. But I am still learning from some of the newer members too and that is just about the coolest thing on the internet:cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts