Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, all of you GL500 and GL650 experts, help me ID the three accessories mounted in this GL650 fairing.

Item #1: I've never seen that center instrument cluster before. OEM Honda part? What's in it?

Item #2: Have no idea what this one is!? Stereo unit or CB radio maybe?

Item #3: Is that the OEM Stereo/Intercom Head Unit?

Just exactly what are those three items?

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
I wonder if they are from a Goldwing? The radio and the instrument package are different from what I have.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had this set up on a bike 1) you have a clock, voltage regulator, radio indicator and cb channel indicator. 2) cassette player (think 80's) 3) radio, cb and and intercom. The top two knobs are for the intercom. The two switches on your left bar are to quick change radio channels, talk to passenger and volume. In between the tank and the fairing you should have two plugs for headsets. I maybe off a little bit that will head you in the right direction.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had this set up on a bike 1) you have a clock, voltage regulator, radio indicator and cb channel indicator. 2) cassette player (think 80's) 3) radio, cb and and intercom. The top two knobs are for the intercom. The two switches on your left bar are to quick change radio channels, talk to passenger and volume. In between the tank and the fairing you should have two plugs for headsets. I maybe off a little bit that will head you in the right direction.
I think you nailed them all. I just spent some time searching for GL500 and GL650 accessories on eBay, and found #1 and #3, which are what you say they are.

I did not find the cassette player on eBay, but that's what it looks like to me.

This is definitely a GL500/GL650 fairing, not a Gold Wing fairing. I've been riding Gold Wings since Honda first started putting fairings and bags on them, and this isn't a Gold Wing fairing.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
The GL 1100 fairing is interchangeable with the GL500/650 fairing, although the mounting brackts and lowers are different. AFAIK the GL500 radio is different from the GL1100 radio. The gauges across the middle of the fairing on the GL500, at least on mine, are analogue, the ones on the GL1100 appear to be digital.

·
Super Moderator
2,709 Posts
The picture you have above is from a bike I restored and sold to a forum member here back in 2015. The bike this system is on is an 83 GL650I, and it came to me this way. I've had a few GL500I/650I bikes that came this way stock. But most had the analog gauges unlike this one.
The gauge pack in the middle, #1, showed the radio AM/FM settings on the left, but I don't remember what the right side gauge showed. The center was a block off plastic plate with nothing in it.
#2 is in fact a cassette player as mentioned above. When a cassette was put in, it would override the stereo and take over the speaker system.
#3 is an AM/FM stereo system.
BTW, those systems have a tendency to have malfunctioning tactile push buttons and can cause the radio system to lock up. I have rebuilt and replaced those tactile buttons on a lot of systems over the years and returned them to proper function. It's common for the OEM rubber return cushions in the original tactile buttons to dry out/collapse and fail. That failure causes the contacts to stay connected and sending misinformation to the system. The new tactile buttons have metal springs in them and won't fail over the years.

The fairing mounts are different between the GL500I and the GL650I. The GL500I is mounted solidly between the fairing and the mount, while the GL650I fairing has a rubber cushion that sits in between the fairing and the mount. The GL650I mount also has larger mounting holes in it to accept the flared larger fittings at the bottom of the rubber cushion that locks the cushion in place to the mount. This cushion is to absorb the vibrations of the bike and road.

Here's a shot of the bike your picture above refers to. Hope this helps you know what all those components are.

[URL=https://app.photobucket.com/u/LRCXed/p/1684c0c4-39b3-406e-bddb-937f01cafa15][/URL]

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I believe black was a factory color option only on the 1981 GL500(I). That means all the colored parts are a direct fit to a GL650(I) though.

·
Administrator
1,556 Posts
That's not a factory GL500 color. The Cosmo Black had gold and copper pinstripes and the pinstriping was quite different. There was no two-tone paint like in the bike above. That looks like a professional repaint to me. AFAIK the GL650 came in dark gray and a wine color.

Charles.

·
Administrator
1,556 Posts
So, if I have a GL1100 fairing, what will it take to mount it to a GL500, if I already have the GL500 brackets and such? Basically, someone that dad helped stole the fairing out of his barn like 15 years ago now. After he died, I started looking for parts, and I found a near-perfect GL1100 fairing and snagged it for little money. I finally got the last cosmetic piece the other day, a NOS front fender, and will begin restoring his bike before the end of the year, I think.

Charles.

·
Super Moderator
13,431 Posts
Mechanically, it should bolt up as if made for it. The fairing I had on my GL500 (& later on Eccles) came from my GL1100 and my bracket started out on a GL650 but I filed the holes oval to use it on the 500.
Electrically, there are a few small differences between models and years. I can't remember it all off the top of my head but as supplied the fairing needs one more wire than the connector in it has so there is an extra wire with a bullet connector; In some versions it is the ground wire but in others it was something else. If you use the sub harness that belongs to the fairing you are using that shouldn't be an issue. But some GL500s (maybe all?) have a sub harness that plugs in between the main harness and the keyswitch (without it you plug the connector on the harness directly onto the keyswitch) and the 1100 sub-harnesses don't. IIRC they did that to get one connection and that can be found elsewhare if you study the wiring diagrams (If you don't have the ones for your 500 and the 1100 the fairing came from let me know and I can post them).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts