Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a seperate post stating what I'm up to on my friends bike, but I wanted to post a few pics to see what you guys think this discoloration is from. I was hoping to do a compression test, but the tester I have doesn't fit. I may go buy another one, but thought it would be good to see what you guys think of tihs regardless. It's really hard for me to tell where it is starting from as it's essentially covering the whole left side of the motor.

Well I'll have to add pictures in a little bit once someone tells me how to attach them. I searched and it says to use the attach file button, but one doesn't exist on my page.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Without seeing a pic I will guess that it may have been leaking from the mechanical seal,,behind the water pump.

You can only attach files in the customization, test, or garage wall forums,,possibly in the buy and sell too.

If you want to post a pic in here you will need a photobucket account or similar.

Upload your pic to there and then link it here.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
It was suggested by a good member here *(Trickster)* that I include basics on copy and paste. (This is for a PC, not a Mac) The easiest way for me is to highlight the link (left click mouse button, drag over text you wish to copy until highlighted), then hit Control and C buttons simultaneously. To paste, you then put your cursor within the section of a post and hit the Control + V buttons simultaneously, which inserts what you copied. In Photobucket, when you click the box that contains the link you want, it automatically copies the link to your computer clipboard, so all you need to do is the Control+V to insert the link in the insert image box.

To post pictures in threads, there are two basic ways. The thumbnail type, or the larger detail type. In both cases, you need to have your pictures saved to an off-site storage, such as PhotoBucket (www.photobucket.com). This is free, and when you save them you can view your files. When you want a pic to post, it's best to have two browsers open so you can switch back and forth to your post and PB. Then open the file, and select which format you want, either "direct link" (for the detail type), or the "thumbnail". Shown below is for the detail type, you choose the part on the left that says "direct link" and copy that. Then go back to your post and place your cursor in the text box where you want the pic to be, and then go to the next step shown below.

In the pic below, you use the second button right of the smiley, it's green, and the drop down is where you paste the copied URL from PB, in this case the "direct link". Then hit "Insert image".

The above method will make the pics show up like the pics above. If you want to thumbnail them in a post, this next pic shows a different (and I think newer version of PB that has the "IMG thumb) view. Copy the IMG thumb and then you can paste it directly into the post rather than using the Insert Image button, like I show below. The thumb is clickable to enlarge it for the viewer.

I hope this helps everyone.

Joel in the Couve.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
That stuff does not look like it came from the internals of the engine at all. I have no idea what could cause that, from any part of the engine. That looks like some residue from something applied to the outside, either by accident or wrongly on purpose.

·
Registered
226 Posts
looks like grime that has been heated to the point of staining the engine... Maybe just a dirty engine that someone ran too hot? Are you having problems with the engine other than discoloration?

·
Super Moderator
23,828 Posts
This may sound silly, but has this bike been stored outside perhaps with the fuel tank off? I have a dead van parked down the back of my yard and the roof rack has taken on a patina exactly the same colour as that from being under a gum [eucalypt] tree.

·
Registered
226 Posts
What happens when you try to clean it off? Does it come off smoothly, do you need to polish it, or does it never change? If some comes off, can you light it on fire? Is it easier to remove when certain chemicals are used?

....Does it taste like anything?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm pretty sure the bike has been stored indoors, but the owner of the bike said he doesn't know what it's from either. It would be great if it wasn't a leak of some sort, but I think I'll do a compression test anyway to feel better about it. I haven't really tried cleaning much off as my goal is to make it run well for the owner. I'll worry about making it pretty once it's running well. I haven't tasted it, but I did smell it and I can't really say what it smells like. It seems to come off somewhat easily though. If the concensus it that it's nothing, then I'll go with that for now.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Umm - from what I can see- and a totally uneducated guess could it be a head gasket leak of some strange coloured coolant ?????

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have seen similar discolorations before. It looks like a petrol leak. If it is not the (left) carb, it may be a pinhole in the tank or the tap leaking.

Michael

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
The only way you're going to solve the mystery is get the engine running and let it get up to temperature to see if there's any obvious leaks after its run for a while.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,243 Posts
Hey, another Minnesotan! It may be a bit of a trek for you, but the 2011 Spring Ride and Barbecue will be on May 14th. Let me know if you'd like to join us.

R

P.S. I agree with the assessment that you have a fuel leak. The staining looks like varnish from evaporated gas.

P.P.S. The best thing I've found to cut that varnish is SeaFoam gas additive and a stiff brush.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I'm with MGR and Randall. Looks just like the varnish left over from fuel.

If you're gonna taste it have someone snap a pic. Do it lolly-pop style. LOL just kidding

·
Registered
710 Posts
Looks like a fuel thing here too i have seen that color in my carb bowls when i first got my bike and smelt like old dried upo varnish as well if ya know woodworking then ya know the smell of varnish..

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Nope, not out of the engine. It looks like someone spilled something on it and it may have been something that yellowed the clearcoat.

Have you tried cleaning any of it off yet? Start with soapy water and a soft brush, if that doesn't work then move up to 71% rubbing alcohol. Anything much stronger WILL probably eat into the clear coat.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
As per above it could have been a fuel leak perhaps even from the tank?Also it could have been a coolant leak.As others have said.Clean off and run the bike and see where you are.

I would drain the oil and check it's condition

http://www.pdsrecording.site90.com/cxgl500/OilChange.htm

and if no metal in it then replace with 10w40 mineral or 15w40 Diesel car engine oil as many of us use.Cheap from the supermarket.I would also replace the coolant,

http://www.pdsrecording.site90.com/cxgl500/Coolant.htm

HTH

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.