Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my CX500 from a gentleman who lived in Rhode Island, didn't realize at the time it was on an island off the coast of Rhode Island. Anyway, now my CX lives at 4800 feet above sea level and she's needing some tuning to accommodate the higher altitude.

I'm not familiar with the CX500 carbs but I have a Honda CX500 factory shop manual.

My battery went flat on me after the bike sat too long (injured my shoulder back in November)

So, I used my car battery to power the bike for starting. It would hit every so often but not run. After playing with the choke and not having any success I gave up and went and bought a can of starting fluid, popped the seat off, and sprayed a short burst into the front of the filter housing. Bike then fired right up and after several attempts getting it running and it dying I was able to get it to stay running with about 1/2 choke. While it warmed up I put the seat back on along with the side cover and stowed the booster cables in the car. Killed the choke and blipped the throttle to bring it down and the idle was still fairly high. Donned my jacket and helmet and mounted the bike, backed it out of the parking spot then put it in gear and promptly stalled and killed it when releasing the clutch. No lights after it died so I think I may have toasted the battery allowing it to go dead but maybe not.

Anyway, to the point.

Is there a clip I should move on the cables or what type of adjustment should be made to the carbs?

Hopefully I won't need to rejet.

I often travel to Tucson about 70 miles NW and it is at 2400 ft above sea level, so I don't want to tune the bike to where it runs nice here and then is too lean or rich when I'm down in Tucson or Phoenix which is around 1400 ft above sea level.

Thanks for any advice/help.

David

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
You wont need to change the jets. It's a matter of adjusting the fuel needles correctly. This is done by setting the idle at 1100rpms and then turning the fuel needle on the left till it responds the best. Highest rpm. Then reset the idle to 1100 and do the other side.

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
A question about the fuel needles, Since they have limiter caps and can not be turned much with

the bowls attached, how do you do the altitude adjustment?

Well in that case take off the bowls, remove the needles and take a grinder to that limiter. Doesn't take much to make enough room.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Rather than grind the screw tab off, I like to grind a notch in the float bowl stopper flange. Then I don't have to readjust my screws, I don't chance breaking off the head of one, (They are meant to break easily just below the limit cap), and it is easier to know what position the needle valve is in with the limiter tab still on.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blindstitch and Blue Fox,

Thanks for the replies. Guess it's time to cozy up to the carb section of my manual and learn how these CV carbs work.

David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.