Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
tom

contact jc i have given him a description of a repair method i use to fix that

he can fill you in and is going to do a write up on it
Was this write up ever done? my acorn nut is stripped now trying to put this motor back together. I got the nut on and realized I forgot the crush washer, took it off, put on the crush washer and it would never tighten... just spins and spins. gotta figure out how to get this nut off now. already ordered a new one.

Thanks!

·
Registered
24,169 Posts
no we did not do the write up jc has not had much time and i have had rough few months my self
my sister in law had cancer and passed
put a pair of vice grips on the nut and pull while turning it will come off

·
Registered
98 Posts
So sorry to hear about your sister Murray.

I was able to get the nut off. Now just to figure out best way to clean up the threads. New nut already ordered. I’ll figure it out.

·
Registered
98 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
hopefully this will hold!

·
Registered
340 Posts
So sorry to hear about your sister Murray.

I was able to get the nut off. Now just to figure out best way to clean up the threads. New nut already ordered. I’ll figure it out.
Hi Seadoobie and all the others,
what was the way how you got the acorn nut off?
I have the similar problem and the engine is still attatched to the frame. I have tried everything to get this freely spinning acorn nut off and it just spins and spins but does not come off.

I have tried vice grips, spanners and ratchets without any luck. It's so hard even to try to take it off when engine is still in the frame. Do I need to drop the engine?

Is it possible to cut a line with dremel and then whack it to pieces with chisel or something?

The bike is 1983 CX650 Custom owned by an old gentleman and I promised to fix the waterpump leak and this starting to frustrate me.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Is it possible to cut a line with dremel and then whack it to pieces with chisel or something?
Don't use a chisel anywhere near the camshaft! I have experience attempting the same on the fan end, and it didn't end well.
I think the best approach is the vise grip. You might need to find a smaller one that gives you more room to work. I have one that's 4 or 5" long that would be ideal for this.

Randall

·
Super Moderator
13,779 Posts
I don't think I'd want to cut it with a Dremel or similar because you might cut into the threaded end of the camshaft and I certainly wouldn't want to hit it with anything. Break the M6 threaded end of the camshaft and you will find yourself doing more than just removing the engine...

If the nut is turning without coming off you need to get the remaining threads in the nut to engage with the threads on the shaft. Either pull the nut up while turning (hence the vise grip recommendation) or maybe see if you can get the edge of a knife under the edge of the nut and pry a bit while turning the nut.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I think if you manage to cut the nut without damaging the end of the camshaft but then start whacking the nut off, I think you'll be needing another camshaft...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thank you guys for the help. So I will forget dremel, chisel and all kind of whacking at this point since the bike isn't even mine :unsure:
Cam shaft must be hard but fragile so no whacking allowed.

I tried two hours pulling and turning it out with vise grip and same time tried to wiggle and give a pressure with another vise grip.

This is CX650 so the water impeller is with larger blades. It's impossible to put anything under the acorn nut or impeller to give it a pressure when pulling.

Maybe there are no options but to drop the engine and try to figure out what to do then.

What about if one dremel that acorn nut head open and try to see if there are some threading which can be pulled out and maybe then it will come out easily? Just wishful thinkin.

Very beautiful bike it is but at the moment pain in the @$$

21 - 35 of 35 Posts