Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help,I would like to put second disc brake onto my CX custom 1981,I had got bottom leg and disc I need a caliper and pipe splitter and any advice many thanks

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Can anyone help,I would like to put second disc brake onto my CX custom 1981,I had got bottom leg and disc I need a caliper and pipe splitter and any advice many thanks
Hi Brian,
a lot of these posts in this thread are old......BUT several active UK members here..
might be worth posting in "Technical Help" or Buy and Sell (for local parts)....

If unsure how to do....the Moderators can move it for you
Cheers

·
Super Moderator
4,281 Posts
Reactions: bahn88

·
Registered
7 Posts
Where abouts in the Uk are you?

I've got a dual disc front end I'm not using from a 1981 standard, not sure about the fitment but I'm sure people on here can advise on that. Will all need a rebuild but open to fair offers for it.

·
Super Moderator
15,424 Posts
You will also need to change the master cylinder. The ratio of the master cylinder's piston area to the total area of all caliper pistons determines how far the caliper pistons will move for a given lever travel so you need a master cylinder with a larger piston to operate 2 calipers.

The original type rubber brake lines should be replaced every 2-3 fluid changes (=5-6 years) so you should probably replace yours as part of this job (modern stainless braided lines last practically forever and double the life of the fluid). I prefer the setup with a single line from the master cylinder to the splitter but many people have used separate lines from the master directly to each caliper (2 lines at master, no splitter). You wouldn't need a splitter for that but you would need a long banjo bolt (should be available where you get the lines).

·
Super Moderator
15,424 Posts
BTW: Welcome to the forum. Please add your location to your profile and your bike's model and model year (NOT year first registered as UK paperwork shows) to your signature so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and the Previous Owners may or may not have done the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet). If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).

·
Registered
9,707 Posts
Where abouts in the Uk are you?

I've got a dual disc front end I'm not using from a 1981 standard, not sure about the fitment but I'm sure people on here can advise on that. Will all need a rebuild but open to fair offers for it.
An '81 Custom will have 35mm forks. Assuming the '81 Standard still had 33mm forks, a full front end swap would be necessary.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts