Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went out to the shop to put the new clutch kit in a spare basket. I ordered a new EBC clutch kit from the bay about two weeks ago. One of the first things I noticed was that all the friction plates are the same, none of them have the V grooves. I know I'm supposed to use two of them that don't have the V groove, but I think I'm supposed to have 5 plates (IIRC) that just have the straight grooves projecting straight out. Is this normal ? Is it OK to use these plates instead of the V groove plates ?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I just went out to the shop to put the new clutch kit in a spare basket. I ordered a new EBC clutch kit from the bay about two weeks ago. One of the first things I noticed was that all the friction plates are the same, none of them have the V grooves. I know I'm supposed to use two of them that don't have the V groove, but I think I'm supposed to have 5 plates (IIRC) that just have the straight grooves projecting straight out. Is this normal ? Is it OK to use these plates instead of the V groove plates ?
Shep in the past has commented on this.ill just bump this,and await.but if my memory serves me ok,i think the set up is good to go

·
Super Moderator
2,852 Posts
Their fine woot. It's just this companies way of mass producing the clutches. EBC is a quality product. So the new style cuts may be better than the way Honda made them years ago.

I have used two or 3 sets of them with no problems.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys !

....now back out to the shop to finish. Hopefully by the end of the day I'll be poppin' wheelies for the neighborhood kids !

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Their fine woot. It's just this companies way of mass producing the clutches. EBC is a quality product. So the new style cuts may be better than the way Honda made them years ago.

I have used two or 3 sets of them with no problems.
Thanks Larry,i can enjoy my dinner and wine knowing i havnt messed up,well,lol,you know what happens after 50.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
As above.The oil,"Throw" friction plate groove orientation isn't as important as the correct order of plates(Including damper plate) and that none of the plates are warped and are within service limits.Also there should be NO metal burrs on any of the tangs on any of the plates and NO metal burrs or damage to the clutch basket that may cause the plates not to glide correctly in operation.

HTH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.