1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1982 GL500i 25,064 miles

Oil is at correct level

Rode bike Friday, no problems!

Got on bike today, pull in clutch, not much! Bike kept easing forward while in gear. Slight difficulty finding nuetral.

Check adjustments on clutch cable, everything fine.

Read a little on forum about clutch, springs, etc.

Grab the arm that the clutch connects to at the engine, I can pull it up with my fingers.

Is that my springs gone bad? Can I just replace the springs?

As I said, before and on friday, no signs of clutch ever slipping or anything odd.

Thanks!! Roger

·
Super Moderator
15,404 Posts
At what angle is the lever on the clutch cover facing when you pull it up with your fingers if it were the needles on a clock.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
9 O'Clock, maybe a little lower like 8:30ish.

·
Super Moderator
15,404 Posts
That's an average spot for that lever so there isn't a problem. The reason the bike wants to go forward in gear with the clutch pulled is because the clutch is still grabbing.

Tighten it up a hair.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
the manual calls for 15-20 free play at the lever[from memory]

so,you have to be able to pull in the lever without the clutch arm moving.

you have that,yes?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I have the correct free play in the handle.

Should I be able to lift the arm without that much trouble?

With the bike on the center stand, in first gear, I can lift the arm all the way

to the stop and it will not disengage the rear wheel. Almost like the springs

inside the clutch does not have the strength to fully engage the clutch. With the bike on the ground in

first gear and clutch in, lightly grabbing and pulling forward. The brakes can keep it stopped.

Can just the springs be replaced without removing the entire clutch/plates? Are these common springs?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
You won't really be able to tell anything until you get the clutch out.

They are a cheap and quite common spring if it that,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CX50...4097308QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

TAS are a known excellent company to the forum.

There is also a small bearing that can be replaced but I doubt that is the problem.It could even by the actuator/mushroom gone but unlikely.There is also a return spring on that mushroom that must be orientated correctly.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Remove the clutch cover with the front of the engine raised. Check the movement of the actuating lever and the "mushroom" button. The springs are easily removed by loosening the four machine screws a little at a time in a crisscross pattern. Measure the spring length, specs are in the manual. If they are worn then replace them, only tightening the four machine screws to 9-10 ftlbs in a crisscross pattern.

I don't understand how the springs could suddenly fail, you should have noted clutch slippage for some time.

I wonder if the shaft has failed. It appears to be a sturdy piece, but does have a partial cut where the mushroom fits and could fail there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Guys!

I don't have a manual. Does anyone have one handy they can get the measurements and post here?

Don't you love motorcycles! I will also check the parts boulder mentioned, thanks for the link Shep.

What if I can't raise the front of bike, I assume oil will come out? Is that a problem or will I just need to replace some oil?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Last oil change less than 500 miles ago.

Thanks, Shep!

Roger

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, Springs are 32.66cm factory limit is 32.5.

Is that enough to cause creeping or are my plates warped too?

Also, parts inside are pristine looking. Clean as day 1. Mushroom part perfect condition.

Roger

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Springs are within specs, weak springs cause slipping, not a lack of release. Cold or thick oil causes a little creep but goes away when warm. What oil are you using?

Warped plates could cause poor release, but why would that come on suddenly unless there has been slipping for awhile with overheating of the plates.

The specs for the plates are in the manual. The four slotted nut can be carefully removed with a hammer or drift. The washer behind it and the nut need to be installed in the correct orientation (see manual).

I replaced my springs a couple weeks ago because they were at 32.5 or below. They were still working and all clutch plates were OK.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
guys,this was an instant episode.....friday the bike was fine.to day a problem.

clutch wear,springs,plates,unless broke.they are not the problem.....its an instant demise we are looking to forget oil,lever play,,,,

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well.... Took out the clutch today. Several plates looked alright and several were worn smooth.

So, new springs and clutch plates on order as is a new cable. Why do a job half way!

Thanks for all the ideas, help and assistence.

Roger

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Well.... Took out the clutch today. Several plates looked alright and several were worn smooth.

So, new springs and clutch plates on order as is a new cable. Why do a job half way!

Thanks for all the ideas, help and assistence.

Roger
thanks for the update Roger.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.