Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,070 Posts
Without context, it's hard to say. I think the proportions are wrong for it to be a mixture screw spring.
If you separated the carb bodies, it might be from the balance adjuster.

·
Registered
301 Posts
my vote is either the sync/balance adjuster or the idle screw

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,305 Posts
Where in Canada are you? Someone might be close enough to look at it in person...

Speaking of which, welcome to the forum. Please add your location and your bike's model and model year (there are significant differences so it helps to know which you need info about) to your profile so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and the Previous Owners may or may not have done the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet). If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).

·
Super Moderator
5,166 Posts
Since the OP only showed one spring it may mean that there is only one such spring in the carbs. If so, that would rule out the idle screws and leave spring on idle speed adjuster, spring in the accelerator pump, the spring on the carb balance screw. Or I'm making a false assumption and there are actually two springs.

·
Registered
1978, Honda CX500
65 Posts
i think it is the idle mixture screw, that goes on a pointy needle, with a washer and a small o-ring.

Make sure, you remove the O-ring if you are replacing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts