Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Honda GL650I Silver Wing Interstates (1 Red, 1 Gray)
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello members,

I need help quickly. Looking to buy a 1983 GL650I that I can't travel to see in person. The guy has the title and the VIN on the title matches the VIN on the steering head frame BUT...

He's only sending me a picture of the VIN stamped on the frame on the right side of the steering head. Have asked him for a picture of the VIN tag on the left side, but he hasn't provided it yet.

Am I gonna be screwed if the VIN tag from the left side of the steering head is missing?

Will I be able to register or title this bike?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,108 Posts
The embossed number is definitive. As long as that matches the title, you should be good. If the riveted tag doesn't match, discard it.

Reactions: WingMan71

·
Registered
1982 GL500 81 BMW R100 2010 HD E-GLIDE
716 Posts
Hello members,

I need help quickly. Looking to buy a 1983 GL650I that I can't travel to see in person. The guy has the title and the VIN on the title matches the VIN on the steering head frame BUT...

He's only sending me a picture of the VIN stamped on the frame on the right side of the steering head. Have asked him for a picture of the VIN tag on the left side, but he hasn't provided it.

Am I gonna be screwed if the VIN tag from the left side of the steering head is missing?

Will I be able to register or title this bike?

Thanks in advance.
Doesn't sound like a guy I would send money to unless it is a super cheap deal.
Paul

·
Registered
1983 Honda GL650I Silver Wing Interstates (1 Red, 1 Gray)
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

I did finally get a picture of the VIN tag on the bike. Also got a picture of the front and back of the current title. VINs on bike and title match.

It's his step-dad's bike he's selling, and he's just not that familiar with bike stuff. His step-dad was the only owner of the bike. He bought it new in 1984. Really nice condition red GL650I. 30K miles on it. Got lots of pictures from him. Here's just one.

Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

PS) I've never seen a passenger backrest like this on a GL. Wonder if that's an aftermarket piece.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,108 Posts
Beautiful! I hope you get a good deal on it.

·
Registered
1982 GL500 81 BMW R100 2010 HD E-GLIDE
716 Posts
Doesn't sound like a guy I would send money to unless it is a super c
Thanks guys.

I did finally get a picture of the VIN tag on the bike. Also got a picture of the front and back of the current title. VINs on bike and title match.

It's his step-dad's bike he's selling, and he's just not that familiar with bike stuff. His step-dad was the only owner of the bike. He bought it new in 1984. Really nice condition red GL650I. 30K miles on it. Got lots of pictures from him. Here's just one.

View attachment 213228

PS) I've never seen a passenger backrest like this on a GL. Wonder if that's an aftermarket piece.
The rest of the story changes things-sounds like a guy you can trust. Go for it-Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts