Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to get myself a new helmet at some point soon, mine is 3 years old and I just noticed it has a hairline crack in the shell  near the faceplate.  I really wanted a Shoei, but just can't justify the expense so I've been looking at HJC's.  Any of you have one?  If so, which one and how do you like it?  

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm going to get myself a new helmet at some point soon, mine is 3 years old and I just noticed it has a hairline crack in the shell  near the faceplate.  I really wanted a Shoei, but just can't justify the expense so I've been looking at HJC's.  Any of you have one?  If so, which one and how do you like it?  
Look at the Scorpion line. I've had two and really like them.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have an HJC and it is fine. The only thing I can say negatively about the HJC helmet is the weight. It is a bit heavier than the higher priced helmets (get what you pay for). I am not doing long distance riding right now, so the weight isn't really a factor at this point.

I bought a Scorpion for my son and it is fine as well. Same deal, it is a bit heavier than the higher end stuff.

If you are riding long distances, then I would advise throwing a little more money at it and getting a lighter helmet. Your neck and upper back will thank you.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have several for me and kids.

Mine is the HJC Symax Modular .... once you got modular, you will never go back! I usually carry a bottle of water or gaterade in my tank bag. Pull up to a stop sign, flip up helmet, get a drink! Do that any full face helmet with pouring it down your shirt (but if your a blonde with big...fuel tanks.....oh never mind!!!)

Also have 2 HJC CL-14's for the kids and they love them.

I would not hesitate buying another HJC.

That being said.... Just ordered my next helmet... Scorpion Transformer!!! People say their heavy but what the heck!! I like the idea of dual visors and ability to remove the front on those summer scorcher days!!

Roger

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I left Shoei once, but went running back. Fits and feels right on MY noggin'. The other brand was noticeably heavier and noisier. I do like some other brands graphics but that is not the reason tour chase a helmet IMHO. Get what fits and spend more if you need to. If HJC fits then go for it

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have an open face and modular HJC. I can't say a bad thing about them. I like the fit, but everyone's head shape is different. I would try on different brands before settling on anything.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Old adage, "before shopping for a helmet, put a price on your head."
I definitely would rather pay for quality than go with the cheapest, I just think after a certain price point the safety issue is taken care of and from that point on it's a matter of looks and 'extras' like venting and such. I also think with Shoei and Arai that you pay a premium just for that name on it, I know they are good helmets but are they $100 better than some of the other options? Right now I'm thinking either one of the HJC's or a Scorpion

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have a CL-15, in my case the biggest decision maker was that they are the only one that I have found that fits my head comfortably, or at least out of the brands that I tried. Different brands have different shapes so its almost best to go to a shop and try a few on and figure out what works best, and then you can look online for bet price if that's the way you want to go.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Have owned 2 hjc helmets, always fit well but sure whistled alot, lousy vents up top i guess....

I say all this but ive also ridden with an almost paper mache german pot helmer, yeah yeah kinda stupid i know. I even put a fake dot sticker on it for one ride but i got too scared and too smart to use it! How silly i was when i was younger....

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I still have my HJC CL-15, but I wear a Bell Star. The HJC was fine in winter, and has a nice snap in breath gaurd and chin curtain available for it that makes it a warm helmet that does not fog up too bad in cold weather. The shields are reasonable and snap in easily.

My Bell Star is better in every way and well worth the extra money. Much cooler in summer, just as warm in winter, Rarely fogs up. Lighter, more aerodynamic, and quieter. It also happens to fit my head better and the graphics match my bike. But over twice the price.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm on my third HJC now - that's been about 20 years along with some other brands in amongst. They're a good, serviceable helmet that meets all the specs anybody cares to mention. There are good reasons why, btw, you should prefer the European and USDOT standards to the Snell foundation ones, but that's a different post.

Anyway, I'm currently using a blue/white/silver barbwire CL-SP I got on deep discount from NewEnough about two years ago. It fits me, is comfortable, has good ventilation, and meets my specification of 'loud clothes save lives.' It even matches the armored ventillated leather jacket I've got, although that was almost an accident.

I forget what was the model of the full-face HJC I was wearing when I got off the VT-1100C at about 45 MPH onto a gravel shoulder about 15 years ago. The excursion gave the bomber jacket I was wearing at the time some new personality scuffs and tore up a leg on the windshield mount as I went over the bars, but the helmet did a great job of protecting my good(?) looks and what passes for my brains against the gravel. I destroyed that battered helmet afterward, of course, but i was sold on the idea of a $100-170 helmet replaced at slightest suspicion or at 3-5 years as opposed to the go-into-debt Shoei or Arai and then wondering how long you can wear this thing before sticker shock sets in again or you get hurt because it has too much photo degradation or fell off the bike one time too many.

The big thing about helmets isn't usually the brand or the price point. It's that it has to fit your head (and heads come in different shapes and sizes) and it has to meet the safety specs you need. Every dollar after that is creature features, hungry lawyers, or marketing fluff.

That's not to say that creature features don't matter. If I bought a new Gold Wing with the intent of riding to every state in the USA, I'd probably drop a good pile on a top-of-the-line helmet to get stuff like the integrated sun visor, integrated intercom, best sound damping, and removable/washable/replaceable liners. I won't be doing that anytime soon. Instead, I want a good sturdy helmet that I can commute comfortably in. The HJC meets that need well, and when the liner finally gets irreparably nasty (yes, I do use a do-rag) it's usually ready for a replacement anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
My all-time favorite helmet is an open face HJC purchased some time in the late 80's. It is the best-fitting and most comfortable helmet I've ever owned.

It's seen many places and many thousands of miles.

It has long since been retired and occupies a place of honor on a shelf in my office at work.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I had been riding with an HJC of my buddies before I bought a helmet. When I went looking I looked at a few HJC helmets and the sales guy got me to try on an Icon Alliance helmet. Once I tried on the alliance i couldn't go back. It just felt so right on my head. Buy what feels good, and what you can afford. The new alliance line had some changes from the alliance SSR and it seems to be a much better product.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.