Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope everybody's safe and well. Our company just closed for the next 2 weeks, first time I've ever been laid off. But every cloud has a Silver(wing) lining, and I'm hoping once this pandemic nightmare is over I'll get to do my long-awaited Southern Ohio/West Virginia solo camping adventure weekends starting in May (or earlier, who knows?)

I'm replacing my fork seals and then changing out my brake pads (they got soaked in fork oil from the leaks). Otherwise the bike is ready to ride. Bought a new tent and got my camping gear in order. Been poring over maps and doing other minor preparations.

The one thing I don't have figured out is a communications system. I want something that fits comfortably inside my helmet but isn't built in, so when I take off my helmet it stays with me. It should let me listen to music, take calls, and voice-command my phone. I don't want to spend a fortune. I'm OK with wires, bluetooth is OK but not crucial. I was using regular wired ear buds last year, with my phone inside my jacket.. The sound was good enough for music, but the mic was worthless hanging in midair, so phone calls or voice command were no-go unless I was stopped. Suggestions?

Hoping to see some of you out on the road this coming season. Meanwhile, stay healthy and ride safe.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have a Sena 30k and I love it. Other people have had the opposite experience with the 30k. Where you will not need the “mesh” technology, I would recommend one of the earlier Sena products. It will do everything you want it to.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have the Sena20S. Not cheap but works excellent. Callers do not even know on riding my motorcycle during the call. I do have a windshield on my bike though. Easy to adjust the volume manually, and it has a auto volume adjust which works great when the bike is stopped. I use it with Google maps
for voice directions, but really enjoy listening to Pandora.
This has changed my cycling experience to a new level of enjoyment. One of the best purchases I have made for this hobby.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The type of helmet will have a large impact. 1/2 lid will permit wind and traffic noise to interfere with voice or hearing. 3/4 helmet will be less noise for hearing, but about the same as a 1/2 helmet for voice interference. Full helmet will be best to reduce wind and traffic noise, but could interfere with the type of headphones and mic you are using when you put it on/off.

FWIW, Bell makes a full helmet that will accept a Sena with mic/speakers that can be buried in the helmet. It all becomes part of the helmet.

I can't imagine anything more convenient and simple.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I was able to mount the Sena in my HJC helmet without a problem. It already had the cut outs for the speakers. I couldn’t imagine trying to use a Sena on anything but a full faced helmet.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was able to mount the Sena in my HJC helmet without a problem. It already had the cut outs for the speakers. I couldn’t imagine trying to use a Sena on anything but a full faced helmet.
Agree. I also have a HJC full helmet.
My 500 has the large Plexifairing, and I can hear and be heard no problem.
On my Turbo, I have a harder time hearing and need to tuck down to the short fairing, and......... Drop my speed under ludrcrous 😁

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a Scorpion full-face helmet, I'll look into the older Sena products on ebay. Thanks y'all!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I have a UClear HBC100 in my modular helmet. Bill S. & I managed to link it with his Sena at the Amish. Sound is good, good features, in-headphone mic. Very economical compared with other systems. Down side is it's very difficult to operate with gloves on. Use it for radio listening. Haven't used it much for intercom as I have no local riding buddies.
Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts