Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello CX/GL world. Not a new member, but thought i would introduce the 3rd installment in my twisted twin trilogy.

Previously I've owned a '79 CX500C and an '83 GL650. The final(?) installment in the trilogy is an '82 GL500 I picked it up yesterday. Saw video of it running, so there is some compression, but don't yet know any other engine details. Will spray PB blaster in cyls before doing any test start.

My plan is to keep it mostly original, but update the hbars, signals, headlamp. Will also use a re-worked GL seat from previous project to give me more space.

The good:
  • 4400 miles
  • Great condition on normally abused parts (exhaust, hbox, side panels, fenders, seats). The RH tail pipe has some damage, but I already have a set of HD sportster cans I'll use.
  • the price was right
  • the battery might still be usable
The not so good:
  • A few missing or damaged parts from a low side slide (tach, signals, headlamp, brake pedal, handlebars). I suspect this had a fairing in it's prior life.
  • Tanks has dents and rust. Usable once de-rusted, but no where near original. Dents are no the RH side, not shown in pic.
  • One of the previous owners used a wire brush on engine cases in a failed attempt at polishing

·
Registered
363 Posts
That looks like a solid start

·
Registered
106 Posts
Definitely a great foundation to build on. Any idea which bars you'll use yet? I've been considering some Daytona style myself.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definitely a great foundation to build on. Any idea which bars you'll use yet? I've been considering some Daytona style myself.
I'll probably do something similar to Daytona bars. I have a spare set of Emgo's low rise lying around that didn't fit another project. Will probably use those and deal with all the cable re-routing.

Also, she started this morning on start fluid (good news), but not on gas thru the carbs (not surprising). Carbs have to come off for cleaning.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
With Honda on the tank and only one disk brake it was never a fairing bike.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
UPDATE - The project is now ~finished, just waiting on another fuel filter and will then mount the left side panel. Here's a right side pic to show the ~final version, for now.

Stylistically, it's relatively unchanged, just new Emgo euro bars, headlight&mount, and turn signals. I was planning to use HD exhaust, but there are clearance issues with the side stand. Not obvious, but I also swapped frames from an Interstate since the original Standard frame had steering tube damage. Replaced some engine gaskets and mech seal while the engine was out. Also put in a rear shock from a late model CB500, which raised the seat height a little.

After a few short test rides that exposed remaining sediment in the tank, she now had a new filter, flushed out tank, and passed a 20 mile shakedown ride with flying colors.

Thanks for all the help with my various questions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts