Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello from Wisconsin! I'm new here and thought I start with a loaded question. Would a 79' CX500 C make a good first motorcycle?? I'll give you a little more info to help answer. I rode 250 cc dirt-motor cross in my teens but nothing in the last 20+ years with a motor and 2 wheels until last summer when I built a motorized bicycle by bolting a 80 cc 2 stroke on to a 26" mountain bike. I have loved riding my midlife crisis moped so much but I want something bigger. There is a 79' CX500 that has been passed around my family for the last 35 years and if I want it, it's mine. The hand me down Honda has been sitting for 6 years due to an ignition problem but with the wealth of info I've found here and my mechanical background that's not a concern. My issue is could this be a little too much bike to start out on? I figure who better to ask than the guy or gal that owns one. I plan on getting the bike regardless but I wonder if I need a stepping stone between my DIY moped and the CX500? It's only 10x the hp and 5x the gears :rolleyes: Thanks in advance for the input.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Great moped! I want one!

The CX has lots going for it - the only point I would make, having come back to a CX after decades without a bike, is that you have to get used to the height and weight.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
:) Even though the moped in the picture have 3 cylinders and 3 pistons ( yes, the rider's legs are the 2 on both sides of the on board one in the middle ) , the Honda CX will improve your pleasure in riding and maintaining a motorized cycle thousand fold , at least !

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Get the CX. I had rode dirtbikes as a kid and got my CX a couple years ago after not riding in 30+ years and I love it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Go for it. These bikes will keep up with highway traffic, anything smaller and you'll be left on the back roads. If it doesn't fit your needs you can make the change and there will be another family member waiting to give it a try. This is the same bike I started with after being away for sometime. A great forum and many parts are available. You can't lose.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
You would not be disappointed with it.
Mine even has a Hondaline fairing on it.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
My first bike is my current GL500. Prior experience was pedal bikes. A great bike to learn on. Go for it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I figured this group my have a CX500 bias, thanks again for the input. "It's not peer pressure, it's just reassurance." At the moment the bike is 200 miles away but my cousin did some photo recon. When he was riding the bike the gravel roads ate up the tires fast so when it was time for new rubber he put on a set of dual sport treads. Stopped in at the DMV today and got my motorcycle instruction permit. Lady at the counter said I was the first person to take the cycle test in the last 6 weeks. I think it might be a weather related thing. :rolleyes: Diving in....

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
If a man can do what he did with a mountain bike, I am in awe to see what he can do with an old Honda CX500 :) please keep this biased crowd informed with some more pictures ... PS warm welcome to the Club .

·
Registered
528 Posts
Go for it.

The ignition issue is sadly common on this era CX, but luckily, there are several ways around it and all are better than the stock system. Do the stator check and then you can determine what your next step is. CHeck the cam chain, too.

BTW, welcome to the insanity.

·
Super Moderator
11,447 Posts
You will find this forum to have the most helpful members, and have a wealth of knowledge shared in the sticky threads and base forum sections. Never too much to read and learn. The WIKI has a full Factory Service Manual (what the Honda techs use) that is free to download. Be sure to get the proper addendums for the year and model. See my links below use the tips for Forum Settings. Also available is JC's great sister web experience It is great to use as a side bar.
(www.Motofaction.org )
Good to have you aboard.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I was basically in your shoes nearly two years ago, except I'm older, had even less motorcycling experience, and almost no mechanical experience. It's even a '79 CX500C.

Don't worry about its being too much motorcycle. As someone said above, the high cg can be a pain, just in low-speed maneuvering. It's not a torque-monster, so you're not going to get into trouble with just q quick wrist-twist. But it has plenty of power for normal riding, including freeway merges.

It took me a while to fix the various problems my bike had, but I had about a year of trouble-free riding until just recently.

Also, the forum will provide you with nearly everything you will need to know. It's lots of folks who have been very generous with their time and knowledge.

Enjoy!

P

·
Registered
283 Posts
Go for it. I went from a Yamaha XS250 to a Kawasaki Z100ST when I was 19 and I`m still here............:vs_ride:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks for the help David. Working on replacing handlebar. Got most everything off the old bent one, except R. throttle controls. 2 pan screws that hold it on are almost stripped. Partzilla calls it Switch assembly, starter,stop??? but unavailable. I hope I don't have to destroy the existing one to get it off. Any suggestions on new grips? Again, thanks for the drop off at the King VA. Next time it will be a pie.
Dennis from west central, WI
As for our new guy, yes this is a great bike. I rode Kawasaki 900s and 1200s touring for over 20 years, laid off for 10+ and bought my 1980 cx500C last year. plenty of power and speed for back roads...I'm a tad intimated by Interstates. This forum has helped me a lot. Also thanks to Randall in Minneapolis!! The foot pedal shift lever works great. a tad hard to get on, took a little persuasion. See you in the Spring!

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
If it has been 20 years I would recommend a refresher MSF course to bring back counter steering and all those finer points. Otherwise find a huge parking lot and practice for a while so it is all non-thinking reflexes when you hit the road. Also get a good helmet and protective gear. You don't want to hurt yourself because you haven't ridden in 20 years.

Then come visit me and learn how to maintain your bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Tell me more about those tires! I got plenty of rough road to ride on out in NM.
I'll have to get the size but on I think the front tire is a Golden and the rear is a Heidenau? Hold up well to gravel. The CX ain't no dual sport but I could see somebody building a scrambler out of one.

The CX runs but runs like poo above 4000 rpm. The riding I did on it did not go well. At the risk of loosing my man card I have to admit I dropped the bike more times than it deserves. I can't manage low speed maneuvers to save my life. I'm still shopping Craigslist for an in between step. I test rode an old Honda 185 Twin Star and had no issue. The MSF course this spring is in my future to sharpen my riding skills. I already have some good safety gear, as soon as I broke 30 mph on my motobicycle I invested in full face and 3/4 helmets, and a nice Yamaha riding jacket with armor inserts. I enjoy riding but I want to minimize risk. I don't heal as fast as I use to.

·
Super Moderator
3,229 Posts
I'll have to get the size but on I think the front tire is a Golden and the rear is a Heidenau? Hold up well to gravel. The CX ain't no dual sport but I could see somebody building a scrambler out of one.

The CX runs but runs like poo above 4000 rpm. The riding I did on it did not go well. At the risk of loosing my man card I have to admit I dropped the bike more times than it deserves. I can't manage low speed maneuvers to save my life. I'm still shopping Craigslist for an in between step. I test rode an old Honda 185 Twin Star and had no issue. The MSF course this spring is in my future to sharpen my riding skills. I already have some good safety gear, as soon as I broke 30 mph on my motobicycle I invested in full face and 3/4 helmets, and a nice Yamaha riding jacket with armor inserts. I enjoy riding but I want to minimize risk. I don't heal as fast as I use to.

As far as the bike not running well at higher RPM - have a go of the stator test - see what that comes back with:

https://motofaction.org/motorcycles/honda-cx-gl/how-to-check-test-stator-honda-cx500/

·
Registered
24,063 Posts
if you took the motorcycle safety course before you rode you would probably not dop the bike

you would be a lot safer and you would be able to handle the bike with much more confidence

go take the course

and welcome

1 - 20 of 23 Posts