Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Hello from The TC Area in MN

3K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Fafnir 
#1 ·
Hey all!

I'm new to the thread and new to bike building, I recently got my motorcycle license and an awesome '79 Cx500. Looking for some others here in MN that are willing to teach a guy a thing or two about bikes.

Ive always been good with my hands and mechanical repair. Just a bit lost on where to start with mine!

Looking forward to hearing from some of you!

-Derek

#2 ·
Hi Derek. Welcome to the forum. Go to the wiki, link in my signature, and get a copy of the factory service manual. Do the high mileage maintenance. Check the date on your tires. It is recommended to change tires after five years no matter how much use they have had as the rubber hardens. Take the MSF course. Ride the bike for a while before making any modifications. All the best.

#5 ·
Welcome, Druckle! Anywhere near Northeast?

There are lots of us around this area. If you make the Spring Ride and Barbecue in May (see in my sig below) you can meet a few of them.

Dittos on what Mike said above. Get the FSM and run through the maintenance checklist. Most of the problems you'll encounter will stem from neglected maintenance. He's correct about the tires, too. My Grub was wearing 18-year-old, brand new Continentals when I bought it. They were hard as rocks and showed cracks in the sidewalls by the time I rode it home. (Oh, to be young and stupid again!)

If you have any questions or need any help, post here or shoot me a PM.

R

P.S. Thanks, Murray, for the vote of confidence.

Reactions: ramprat06
#6 ·
I just got it! MG = Maple Grove (NW suburb, for you foreigners out there.) About 15 miles from Ikedelic and me.

R

Reactions: Ike-adelic
#20 ·
We should have a MNCX500 Club! I know there is at least one vintage Japanese Motorcycle club in the area too. They put on shows and rides and when I get back to MN, I'm going to track them down. Anyone know who I'm referring to? Met them at a bike show a couple years ago but lost the info.

#15 ·
Welcome!

I think we're going to need an off-season gathering to get through the winter and meet some new faces.

R

Reactions: bretsspot
#14 ·
I second Randall's recommendation of new tires. I traded my Flintstone Rock tires for new Shinkos and my GL rides like a magic carpet.

Naked GL500
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

#19 ·
Hi Derek,
I live in the Twin Cities as well, but I'm in Florida until the Holidays (with my bike...which is bobbed and more of an art project at this point than a daily rider. It's got a lot of copper and will be sort of steampunk-esque. I've been learning and building on my bike for the pasty three years and although I have a ton left to learn, I'd be happy to help where I can. We can learn together.

But, some of the guys on this forum have forgotten more than I've learned! Lot's of really good info, so maybe the most important place to start you've already done...joining the forum.

Good luck and let's keep in touch. I plan to bring my bike back to the Cities in January. Just need a space to work on it so if you have ideas on that, let me know.

#23 ·
The club you're imagining is the Honda Twisted Twins Association - Minnesota (HTTA-MN.). Like the rest of the HTTA, it's informal. No officers, no dues. Just the group of local participants on this forum.

I host a ride and barbecue for the local CX/GL crowd each May. (Usually the third Saturday. Not sure what date that will be in 2019.). Unfortunately, that's about the extent of our activity. I'd love to see some other annual events come together, but I don't have the time to do it.

R

#24 ·
I host a ride and barbecue for the local CX/GL crowd each May. (Usually the third Saturday. Not sure what date that will be in 2019.). Unfortunately, that's about the extent of our activity. I'd love to see some other annual events come together, but I don't have the time to do it.R
Maybe some of us new folks could organize something regular for new people popping up. Doesn't have to be fancy. Just a time and a place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.