Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, figured I'd make a thread saying hello. Got my first motorcycle about a week ago. It is a 1982 GL500 Silverwing interstate. Needs some work before it is really ride ready but I don't think it looks too bad for being as old at is it. Got a Haynes manual for it and I have some basic mechanical common sense. However I do not know much about motorcycles in maintenance or motorcycles in general, which is why I even found this forum. The plans are to get the bike up in running and practicing a bit in a parking lot then taking some basic riding courses as soon as possible. I just figured before I annoyed everyone with my newbie questions I will probably have as I get into riding and messing with the silverwing; I would go ahead and say hello. So hello from Southeast Ohio thanks for havin me! :cool:

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Welcome aboard, you will find plenty of help here as you get things in order. Good on you for taking a MSF course, it can help reduce your insurance bill, as well as obviously making you a better, safer rider.
Look through my links below, and fill out your profile and snag the FSM to go with instead of the lame Haynes paperweight. Pics are always appreciated.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome aboard, you will find plenty of help here as you get things in order. Good on you for taking a MSF course, it can help reduce your insurance bill, as well as obviously making you a better, safer rider.
Look through my links below, and fill out your profile and snag the FSM to go with instead of the lame Haynes paperweight. Pics are always appreciated.

Joel in the Couve
Thanks for the links got the other manual downloaded now looks like it's gonna be a great help. Got some pictures of the bike from when I found it for sale. Windshield is sadly broken as the guy I bought it off of broke it the day before I came and got it. He knocked a decent amount of the price though cause he felt bad so I'll go ahead and call it a win. Silverwing 1.png Silverwing 2.png

·
Registered
1,287 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Where, exactly, in SE Ohio? I live just outside Malta, towards Burr Oak. I ride an '82 GL500. It started life as an Interstate, however, was in such bad shape I stripped it down.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
The bike looks all there, even an aftermarket antenna in the stock location! I don't see the stock radio, but there are the speaker grills. Doesn't look too bad from the pics. What is the mileage? Probably best to do the high mileage service interval on it to start with, as a baseline. The tires should be replaced if the date code on the sidewall is older than 5 years. What was the sellers reason for letting it go? Any other history of note?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the forums!

Where, exactly, in SE Ohio? I live just outside Malta, towards Burr Oak. I ride an '82 GL500. It started life as an Interstate, however, was in such bad shape I stripped it down.
I'm In Jackson County about an hour and forty minutes from Malta. 30 minutes from Chillicothe and 40 minutes from Athens

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The bike looks all there, even an aftermarket antenna in the stock location! I don't see the stock radio, but there are the speaker grills. Doesn't look too bad from the pics. What is the mileage? Probably best to do the high mileage service interval on it to start with, as a baseline. The tires should be replaced if the date code on the sidewall is older than 5 years. What was the sellers reason for letting it go? Any other history of note?
There is a stereo in it cant verify if it is stock though. I'll have to get a picture of it eventually. 18K original miles had some service paper work other than that nothin' special. Belonged to the guy's dad who apparently hardly ever road it and he doesn't ride at all so he figured he'd sell it. Don't think it was stored too good due to some fading and cracks in the plastic nothin to awful bad. As long as it survives me learning which I believe it will I'll plan on getting it painted or somethin.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Welcome in the forum.

I bought the same bike last year as my first one as well. It was well maintained at the bike shop where I got it from. It is a true Silverwing in Silver and I love it. Last year I rode over 8000 km with it.

IMAG0433.jpg

Reactions: nippongreen

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome in the forum.

I bought the same bike last year as my first one as well. It was well maintained at the bike shop where I got it from. It is a true Silverwing in Silver and I love it. Last year I rode over 8000 km with it.

View attachment 79585
Looks very clean! :cool:

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
The stock radio was a Clarion, either type I or II, as you see it here. Photo of my former show girl done by Larry *LRCXed*.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The stock radio was a Clarion, either type I or II, as you see it here. Photo of my former show girl done by Larry *LRCXed*.

This is my stereo. Aftermarket maybe? 20170316_192940.jpg

·
Registered
272 Posts
Aloha!

I have a pad in Hawaii, Florida and Ohio. My Ohio home is near the AMA Motorcycle Museum East of Columbus.

I love touring Southeastern Ohio. GREAT area for a motorcycle. I have moto-camped at many of the State Parks near you. My bike in Ohio is indeed the GL-500i. I got mine last year. It was in great shape, but I still went through it with a fine tooth comb and did the Triple Bypass and all fluids and lube. Had to lube the Speedo and the Tach as well to save them. I suspect my bike sat for a long time in a garage. This year I have to tackle front and rear brakes.

Enjoy that bike, and the forum. Get it prepped to ride and ride it. I can't wait until next month. I'm returning to Ohio, getting the bike ready, packing the camping gear, and doing some mid-Spring camping. Probably start at Hocking Hills State Park south of Lancaster, then head on over to AW Marion State Park. Let the good times roll. Spring is almost here!

-3Sport

BTW, here's my Silverwing during a moto-camping stint of Southern Ohio and Northern Kentucky last Fall. This is at Scioto Trail State Park South of Chillocothe;

IMG_20161006_150620.jpg

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Wow there are some nice units out there.

I also have a fairly high mileage GL500I.

It's hiding from embarrassment right now.

Been abused you know.

Coming out from years of hiding hopefully

sometime soon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow there are some nice units out there.

I also have a fairly high mileage GL500I.

It's hiding from embarrassment right now.

Been abused you know.

Coming out from years of hiding hopefully

sometime soon.
Nothing to be embarrassed about mine looks way better in pictures it's kinda rough looks like it was stored somewhere that still allowed the sun to beat down on the plastics. One of those "Beautiful from a far but far from beautiful." type deals haha.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts