Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, my name is Joaquim and I am from Portugal, Trás-os-Montes.

I started touching in motorcycles 2 years ago following my motorcycle driver licence. I bought a used yamaha xj 600 from late eighties with some and not mentioned problems from the old owner. Send it to a so called friend mechanich to fix it, I payed and nothing in the end...same problems.
I started to educate myself with the internet and youtube and after 5 months I had the bike running like a charm.
After that, and with all the tools I bought :) I started to look and fell in love for vintage bikes.

I'm about to buy a cx 500 custom from 1983 (engine number CX500E-3300055; frame numbee CX500-3300045) but with some issues that I will explain later. It is a TI ifnition

Greetings fot everybody. Sorry for my english and thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
15,174 Posts
Welcome to the forum. What makes you think it is a 1983 model? Honda discontinued the 500cc engines when they introduced the 650 in '83. There should be a plate somewhere on the bike that indicated the correct model and model year (on North American bikes it is on the steering head but I believe it is somewhere else on bikes made for Europe).
BTW: The rest of the bike looks like a Custom but I've never seen one with the headlight nacelle. But it has been around for a long time and a previous owner may have changed that.

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and the Previous Owners may or may not have done the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet). It looks like your bike still has the original rubber brake lines (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) so I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi everybody, my name is Joaquim and I am from Portugal, Trás-os-Montes.

I started touching in motorcycles 2 years ago following my motorcycle driver licence. I bought a used yamaha xj 600 from late eighties with some and not mentioned problems from the old owner. Send it to a so called friend mechanich to fix it, I payed and nothing in the end...same problems.
I started to educate myself with the internet and youtube and after 5 months I had the bike running like a charm.
After that, and with all the tools I bought :) I started to look and fell in love for vintage bikes.

I'm about to buy a cx 500 custom from 1983 (engine number CX500E-3300055; frame numbee CX500-3300045) but with some issues that I will explain later.

View attachment 205684

View attachment 205685

View attachment 205686

Greetings fot everybody. Sorry for my english and thanks in advance
Welcome to the forum. What makes you think it is a 1983 model? Honda discontinued the 500cc engines when they introduced the 650 in '83. There should be a plate somewhere on the bike that indicated the correct model and model year (on North American bikes it is on the steering head but I believe it is somewhere else on bikes made for Europe).
BTW: The rest of the bike looks like a Custom but I've never seen one with the headlight nacelle. But it has been around for a long time and a previous owner may have changed that.

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and the Previous Owners may or may not have done the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet). It looks like your bike still has the original rubber brake lines (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) so I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).
Thanks side

Thanks SideCar,

If I'm not wrong it is an 82 model but road legal in 83.
Welcome to the forum. What makes you think it is a 1983 model? Honda discontinued the 500cc engines when they introduced the 650

Thanks SidecarBob,

Well, 83 was registered. I'm reading about serial numbers and will tell you later.
Already have the manuals and parts under eye.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
Welcome to the forum. What makes you think it is a 1983 model? Honda discontinued the 500cc engines when they introduced the 650 in '83.
In some markets, even the 500 Standard was still offered by Honda, though those may have had '83 serial numbers.
That late, I would expect a Custom to be a CX400 or 650, but the 500 may have been offered somewhere. This one has a Maggot headlight assembly, so it could be a Standard with a Custom tank. The tail is Standard/Deluxe, too. The turn signals are the smaller '78 style. Did the z/A/B Standards keep these through the entire run?

·
Registered
888 Posts
the turn signal question -yes.
The seat looks a little modified (stepped)..to me ...but not a custom seat...but that might be just the photo angle

·
Registered
888 Posts
from what I've seen-locally (Aust) no and UK probably no...but U.S. other markets a definite maybe......

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, so what I was told and from some research, this engine and frame is from 81 a 2g Custom 27 hp from germany. The last owner, however made the changes to 50 hp. 37kw exhaust pipes and gicleurs.

·
Super Moderator
15,174 Posts
According to Google, gliceurs = sprinklers. Could this mean carburettors?

So what you actually have is an '81 CX500C that has been converted from a restricted output model (for those who haven't been licensed very long?) that was first licensed in '83 and has the headlight nacelle from an earlier CX500 standard and the seat from a CX500D.
Interesting.
I expect the Factory Shop Manual, parts drawings, wiring drawing &c for the '81 CX500C to be what you need to refer to when working on it so that's what you should refer to it as on the forum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
According to Google, gliceurs = sprinklers. Could this mean carburettors?

So what you actually have is an '81 CX500C that has been converted from a restricted output model (for those who haven't been licensed very long?) that was first licensed in '83 and has the headlight nacelle from an earlier CX500 standard and the seat from a CX500D.
Interesting.
I expect the Factory Shop Manual, parts drawings, wiring drawing &c for the '81 CX500C to be what you need to refer to when working on it so that's what you should refer to it as on the forum.
Sorry, gicleurs means the jets for the carbs.

Did some other research, but I found very confusing about this model.
I did email honda support to have mor info.

thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts