Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, I'm a new member here on the cx500 forum. I just purchased a 1983 Honda Silverwing gl650 Interstate. This is my first transverse twin engine. I'm taking the front fairing off. The heat here in Florida requires lots of wind to keep the driver (me!) cool. I love the look of these bikes! I'm starting to learn some of the known issues of these bikes. I welcome any advice regarding these bikes from any experienced owners who have worked on their bike. I'm looking forward to searching the forums.
Sky Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Looks like a twin to mine! Don’t cut any wiring when you remove the fairing. The fairing wiring is a subharness that unplugs and the bike harness just plugs into itself, assuming you obtain an OEM headlight assembly. Luggage (3pcs) are simply clip on or off as suits your ride that day as long as you leave the rear signal light extender installed. Do you have the rear seat which exchanges with the top box? There is also a lower smaller top box that fits that location if you can obtain one. Gl500I luggage and seats also fit exactly, although color and stitching patterns vary. Welcome to our “little” GLOBAL community!

Reactions: MaximRides'83

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,305 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please add your location and your bike's model and model year to your profile so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and may or may not have had all of the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).

·
Registered
332 Posts
I like the fairing, I'd love an interstate, but I appreciate your concerns in connection to where you live. I would do the same, no doubt!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum. Please add your location and your bike's model and model year to your profile so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and may or may not have had all of the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).
I actually received an original Honda Shop Manual for my motorcycle when I purchased the bike. The original owner of the bike (I am the third) was a Honda mechanic. This is my third old bike, my other motorcycle, at least for now, is a 1985 Yamaha Maxim. I've done quite a bit of work to make a mechanically sound motorcycle. From a new starter, sealing the gas tank, re-doing the fork seals, flushing or changing all fluids, to brakes (front) replacing the front brake lines (existing were ORIGINAL! 😳) to cleaning the carbs, new tires, too much stuff to remember.

I'll take a look at the carb boots though! Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Welcome from another Florida owner.

Reactions: MaximRides'83

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
That's what I'm going for. I cant help but notice the gaurd around the saddle bags. Are those a Markland product? I would love a set for my bike. Any idea where one may be able to purchase some?

P.S. Sweet looking bike...
It just came like that, different GL's come with an assortment of bling.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
It just came like that, different GL's come with an assortment of bling.
As a side note, the radiator cover came off a CX500, the headlight assembly came off a Magna 750, the rear view mirrors came out of a bin of mirrors at the motorcycle graveyard, the front turn signals are rear turn signals from a GL500, the windscreen is aftermarket. I figure I lost about 40 pounds or so. Oh, I swapped all the body panels and tank with a GL500 that had a tank in better shape. So, when swapping, if it fits and looks better, I say use it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like a twin to mine! Don’t cut any wiring when you remove the fairing. The fairing wiring is a subharness that unplugs and the bike harness just plugs into itself, assuming you obtain an OEM headlight assembly. Luggage (3pcs) are simply clip on or off as suits your ride that day as long as you leave the rear signal light extender installed. Do you have the rear seat which exchanges with the top box? There is also a lower smaller top box that fits that location if you can obtain one. Gl500I luggage and seats also fit exactly, although color and stitching patterns vary. Welcome to our “little” GLOBAL community!
Hey Richnct, I've seen the low profile rear trunks and would like one...I've looked online and cant find one. I'm in the process of buying everything to remove the front fairing. I just got the headlight bucket in today but it didn't come with the brackets...so the hunt is on for those. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I might call a few motorcycle boneyards in my area. I did just get in the rear trunk extender. I bought the bike to do 2 up riding with my wife, and I definitely want to keep the rear trunk when she's on the bike, it also will give her a back rest.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Welcome......I had a fully faired BMW that would get used in summer....to increase airflow I'd remove the fairing inner panels (the "trim") and also the rubber garters/boots where the forks entered the fairing, and replaces these with "scoops" available as an OEM accessory
dunno if this applies to the interstate..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts