Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks, I am a new owner of a CX500 Turbo. I purchased it from ebay last Saturday from the Original owner. It seems to be in mint conditon with 18K miles. I can't wait for it to arrive. My dad owns a CX500 Custom with 80K miles and suggested I try a CX. I currently drive a BMW R1100S that I love.

While waiting for it to arrive I figured I would stock up with some maintenance parts. Can any of you recommend where and what to get for:

Air Filter

Oil Filter

Fuel Filter

Synthetic Engine Oil?

Transmission Oil

Rear Drive Oil

Sorry for the newbee questions and regards,

Rique

·
Registered
658 Posts
Hello folks, I am a new owner of a CX500 Turbo. I purchased it from ebay last Saturday from the Original owner. It seems to be in mint conditon with 18K miles. I can't wait for it to arrive. My dad owns a CX500 Custom with 80K miles and suggested I try a CX. I currently drive a BMW R1100S that I love.

While waiting for it to arrive I figured I would stock up with some maintenance parts. Can any of you recommend where and what to get for:

Air Filter

Oil Filter

Fuel Filter

Synthetic Engine Oil?

Transmission Oil

Rear Drive Oil

Sorry for the newbee questions and regards,

Rique

Air filter -Honda

Oil Filter - Honda

Fuel Filter - Leave it alone unless contaminated and then flush or replace with aftermarket

Oil - Mobil 1 MX4t

Transmission Oil -Not used

Rear Drive Oil - Any quality oil (Mobil 1)

·
Registered
762 Posts
Just as a side note, the oil product line has been renamed to Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40.

"Mobil 1 MX4T 10W-40 was renamed because the product is known as Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 outside the US. Be assured that no changes to the Mobil 1 MX4T 10W-40 formulation occurred during this name change. Same great product, new name."

Where are you located Rique?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Rear Drive Oil - Any quality oil (Mobil 1)

Gotta disagree with you on this one, Pete, or at least supplement it.

Should stick with any quality SAE 80 Gear oil in the final drive.

"Any quality oil" could be misunderstood as a lower viscosity being acceptable.

Personally, I recommend, when transitioning from mineral oil, to start with one semi-synthetic oil change before going to full synthetic.

It may be an old wives tale, but the theories are that it gives the metal a slow transition to adapt to the new properties of a synthetic rather than shocking it by going from one extreme to the other.

Since you can never completely suck out all of the mineral oil at an oil change, it also allows the semi-synthetic to absorb the old mineral oil, so at the next oil change when you go to full synthetic, there is almost no mineral oil left in the system.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bike was purchased in Illinoi but will travel all the way down to Bolivia South America were I live. Unfortunately, we don't have Mobile oil here but I use RedLine

whichi is a great brand. Redline makes a product 75W80.

Enrique

·
Registered
762 Posts
I am running a redline synthetic oil in final drive (rear drive), I think its 75W90.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I am running the Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10w40 that Pete referenced above in my engine.

It appears that Redline does make a Synthetic Motorcycle Engine Oil, though I know nothing about it and do not have any personal experience with it.

Link to the product description here

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BMW fans use Redline Synth for Bikes. I will find an equivalent and see how it goes. Seller told me that oil in bike has only 1000miles so I may not change it once I get the bike. Of course if it has been sitting long.....

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am not a fan of the OEM foam sock that fits over the shaped screen air filter. It crumbles and deteriorates throwing trash into the turbo and engine. I prefer to use K&N type cotton/screen material shaped over the stock filter body(I personally remove the whole airbox and put a K&N on the end of the intake tube). I make replacement fuel filters using modern substitute materials. The oil filters are still available from Honda. I use Honda brand synthetic blend oil(HP-4) because the engine oil is also used in the transmission. The chopping action and extreme gear teeth pressure stresses synthetic oil and mineral oil performs better when changed at recommended intervals. I like the synthetic oils because it flows better than mineral when cold and transfers heat from the turbocharger bearings better. So that is why I prefer the blend. I use full synthetic oil in the final drive, because it runs much cooler and reduces friction spinning much easier. My 2 cents worth.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.